Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Minx's Avatar
Minx
Chatterbox
Minx is offline
South Africa
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 5,908
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-07-2021, 05:38 PM
51

Re: Hello From Chicago!

Originally Posted by Plankton ->
Some of the young guns can throw 400-500+ feet (122-152 meters). I can only strive for that, unrealistically. lol

The disc golf community is amazing with some outstanding people on and off the course. We had the Pro Tour come through my neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago (I was in attendance as a spectator), and the week before that, the shot that was heard around the world happened out in Utah:

Oh my word! Awesome swing hole in one !
That looks like such fun
Plankton's Avatar
Plankton
Senior Member
Plankton is offline
United States
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 203
Plankton is male 
 
21-07-2021, 05:46 PM
52

Re: Hello From Chicago!

That was his 3rd shot actually, and for the title of World Champion. If he'd have missed it, he'd have come in 2nd and no title so it was clutch for sure. It put disc golf firmly on the world stage. ESPN is airing full rounds now.
Minx's Avatar
Minx
Chatterbox
Minx is offline
South Africa
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 5,908
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-07-2021, 06:18 PM
53

Re: Hello From Chicago!

Originally Posted by Plankton ->
That was his 3rd shot actually, and for the title of World Champion. If he'd have missed it, he'd have come in 2nd and no title so it was clutch for sure. It put disc golf firmly on the world stage. ESPN is airing full rounds now.
So, were there competitors from other countries competing for 1st prize
Plankton's Avatar
Plankton
Senior Member
Plankton is offline
United States
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 203
Plankton is male 
 
21-07-2021, 07:03 PM
54

Re: Hello From Chicago!

Thats a good question. I know Christin Tattar is from Estonia and Simon Lizotte is from Germany, and there's a few others I can't quite place right now, but it's mostly competitors from the US. The sport started here in the US, thanks to Steady Ed Headrick, and has been mostly under the radar until recently so it's not quite a world-wide known sport... yet. It's gaining popularity though. Also, the purses for the winners are quite small in comparison to the PGA, so traveling from another country isn't really cost effective even if you take 1st place every time. I don't think a non-US player could justify it even with a sponsor supporting them, but some make it work with product placement and clinics.

Interesting links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDGA_World_Championships

https://www.pdga.com/awards

I'd say in a few years time, it'll be filled with more players from around the world, and I know quite a few people are pushing for it to become an Olympic event.

Here's some stats:

https://udisc.com/disc-golf-growth-report
Minx's Avatar
Minx
Chatterbox
Minx is offline
South Africa
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 5,908
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-07-2021, 07:47 PM
55

Re: Hello From Chicago!

Originally Posted by Plankton ->
Thats a good question. I know Christin Tattar is from Estonia and Simon Lizotte is from Germany, and there's a few others I can't quite place right now, but it's mostly competitors from the US. The sport started here in the US, thanks to Steady Ed Headrick, and has been mostly under the radar until recently so it's not quite a world-wide known sport... yet. It's gaining popularity though. Also, the purses for the winners are quite small in comparison to the PGA, so traveling from another country isn't really cost effective even if you take 1st place every time. I don't think a non-US player could justify it even with a sponsor supporting them, but some make it work with product placement and clinics.

Interesting links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDGA_World_Championships

https://www.pdga.com/awards

I'd say in a few years time, it'll be filled with more players from around the world, and I know quite a few people are pushing for it to become an Olympic event.

Here's some stats:

https://udisc.com/disc-golf-growth-report
Thanks Plank - I was just curious to understand if this was another World Series

Update: someone started a thread on disc-golf search the Forum
Plankton's Avatar
Plankton
Senior Member
Plankton is offline
United States
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 203
Plankton is male 
 
21-07-2021, 07:51 PM
56

Re: Hello From Chicago!

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Thanks Plank - I was just curious to understand if this was another World Series
Doesn't quite live up to the title does it. lol I guess when they made that up it just sounded more... bonified.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į
Minx's Avatar
Minx
Chatterbox
Minx is offline
South Africa
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 5,908
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-07-2021, 07:54 PM
57

Re: Hello From Chicago!

Originally Posted by Plankton ->
Doesn't quite live up to the title does it. lol I guess when they made that up it just sounded more... bonified.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į
Well, a World Series amongst yourselves

* rolls eyes skyward*
Bratti's Avatar
Bratti
Chatterbox
Bratti is offline
Canada
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 5,255
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-07-2021, 08:02 PM
58

Re: Hello From Chicago!

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Thatís a real pity - youíre an awesome musician !
Completely agree. Get those guitars out of storage.
Iím quite certain you can play guitar AND golf.
Plankton's Avatar
Plankton
Senior Member
Plankton is offline
United States
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 203
Plankton is male 
 
21-07-2021, 08:07 PM
59

Re: Hello From Chicago!

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Completely agree. Get those guitars out of storage.
Iím quite certain you can play guitar AND golf.
They're out. Most of em are anyway:



Having a guitar slung around my neck while trying to send a disc 300 ft down the fairway would be quite the feat. Hmmm...

lol

@Minx: Gonna check the forum now. Thanks!
Minx's Avatar
Minx
Chatterbox
Minx is offline
South Africa
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 5,908
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-07-2021, 08:37 PM
60

Re: Hello From Chicago!

Originally Posted by Plankton ->
They're out. Most of em are anyway:



Having a guitar slung around my neck while trying to send a disc 300 ft down the fairway would be quite the feat. Hmmm...

lol

@Minx: Gonna check the forum now. Thanks!
Woah! Thatís a big selection of
 
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.