Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pixie Knuckles's Avatar
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Pixie Knuckles is offline
Scotland, UK
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 5,698
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
17-07-2021, 07:37 AM
21

Re: Palpitations.

I used to get palpitations when I was younger, but after getting checked up, it was stress related. They went away of their own accord and only happen once in a blue moon now.
Twink55's Avatar
Twink55
Chatterbox
Twink55 is offline
Cheshire, England
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 16,510
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
17-07-2021, 07:42 AM
22

Re: Palpitations.

Pauline a few years ago I occasionally had palpitations , up to 200 beats a minute, so my sister called 999 for an ambulance & they took me into A&E. They gave me an injection which was awful, as it made me feel I couldn't breath for about 20 seconds, but it slowed the palpitations very quickly... so they sent me home & referred me to a cardiologist.
The cardiologist told me that my heart seemed fine and the problem was a minor fault on the line that sent the signal from my brain to my heart to make it beat... I think it is called Supraventricular tachycardia!
He offered me a small operation or a very small dose of beta blocker each day... so I chose the beta blocker & have had no problem since!
If it happens regularly, check your pulse and count the number of beats per minute... then speak to your doctor. Alternatively, if it is over 100 BPM, then you should get help at the hospital! Better to sort the problem now by finding what is causing it
pauline3
Chatterbox
pauline3 is offline
Hampshire UK
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 10,708
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
17-07-2021, 08:12 AM
23

Re: Palpitations.

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Pauline a few years ago I occasionally had palpitations , up to 200 beats a minute, so my sister called 999 for an ambulance & they took me into A&E. They gave me an injection which was awful, as it made me feel I couldn't breath for about 20 seconds, but it slowed the palpitations very quickly... so they sent me home & referred me to a cardiologist.
The cardiologist told me that my heart seemed fine and the problem was a minor fault on the line that sent the signal from my brain to my heart to make it beat... I think it is called Supraventricular tachycardia!
He offered me a small operation or a very small dose of beta blocker each day... so I chose the beta blocker & have had no problem since!
If it happens regularly, check your pulse and count the number of beats per minute... then speak to your doctor. Alternatively, if it is over 100 BPM, then you should get help at the hospital! Better to sort the problem now by finding what is causing it


Thanks everyone for your kind replies.

Twink, you mentioned beta blockers, Iím on those ,called Bisoprolol Fumarate, I forgot to take it on Thursday pm, maybe that has something to do with it, plus I drink gallons of Latte, my consultant advised me to drink de caf,

Also donkeyman has a point, I was stressed on Thursday at the bus station, because of an incident with my dog jack.

Harbal, I would strongly suggest you see your GP, my mother had symptoms, none of us knew this until she was carted off to the hospital after she was having difficulty breathing, ...she was extremely lucky to have survived, her employer Elizabeth ward who was the founder of the BKPA, paid for her operation that she had done immediately at the Brompton hospital in London, it was an emergency, she had x two heart replacement valves....open heart surgery.

Funny enough I had the same operation, I was lucky that my symptoms once my GP picked up on them, was monitored by The Sherborne building at Basingstoke hospital, the consultants and staff were amazing, I ended up having my heart valve repaired, I went into Atrial Fibrillation x2 once in hospital once at home, I went extremely dizzy and nearly passed out,.

Never ever assume it is something, best get it checked out by a doctor, assuming can kill you.

I am fine this morning, my son was concerned, but it did right itself after ten mins...my consultant has already told me to dial 999 if I go into Atrial Fibrillation again.....
pauline3
Chatterbox
pauline3 is offline
Hampshire UK
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 10,708
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
17-07-2021, 08:15 AM
24

Re: Palpitations.

Twink, I wonder what that injection was that they gave you, how scarey that must have been for you.

Lucky you didnít have to have an operation, that the beta blockers work. that is great,
Twink55's Avatar
Twink55
Chatterbox
Twink55 is offline
Cheshire, England
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 16,510
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
17-07-2021, 08:35 AM
25

Re: Palpitations.

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Thanks everyone for your kind replies.

Twink, you mentioned beta blockers, Iím on those ,called Bisoprolol Fumarate, I forgot to take it on Thursday pm, maybe that has something to do with it, plus I drink gallons of Latte, my consultant advised me to drink de caf,

Also donkeyman has a point, I was stressed on Thursday at the bus station, because of an incident with my dog jack.

Harbal, I would strongly suggest you see your GP, my mother had symptoms, none of us knew this until she was carted off to the hospital after she was having difficulty breathing, ...she was extremely lucky to have survived, her employer Elizabeth ward who was the founder of the BKPA, paid for her operation that she had done immediately at the Brompton hospital in London, it was an emergency, she had x two heart replacement valves....open heart surgery.

Funny enough I had the same operation, I was lucky that my symptoms once my GP picked up on them, was monitored by The Sherborne building at Basingstoke hospital, the consultants and staff were amazing, I ended up having my heart valve repaired, I went into Atrial Fibrillation x2 once in hospital once at home, I went extremely dizzy and nearly passed out,.

Never ever assume it is something, best get it checked out by a doctor, assuming can kill you.

I am fine this morning, my son was concerned, but it did right itself after ten mins...my consultant has already told me to dial 999 if I go into Atrial Fibrillation again.....

Those are the same beta blocker that I take but I only need 1.25 mg each day. They slow your heartbeat down so it is likely that forgetting to take them would cause palpitations.
Try to associate them with something you do every morning (like having your first coffee) because you are less likely to forget them then & beta blockers can cause problems if they are not taken as prescribed!

They warned me about the effects of the injection, but it is scary when you can't beathe for a few seconds. Not sure what it was but, after they stayed with me & kept me lying down for 10 minutes, It was like I had never had a problem .
pauline3
Chatterbox
pauline3 is offline
Hampshire UK
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 10,708
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
17-07-2021, 08:42 AM
26

Re: Palpitations.

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Those are the same beta blocker that I take but I only need 1.25 mg each day. They slow your heartbeat down so it is likely that forgetting to take them would cause palpitations.
Try to associate them with something you do every morning (like having your first coffee) because you are less likely to forget them then & beta blockers can cause problems if they are not taken as prescribed!

They warned me about the effects of the injection, but it is scary when you can't beathe for a few seconds. Not sure what it was but, after they stayed with me & kept me lying down for 10 minutes, It was like I had never had a problem .

It is scarey when you canít breathe, I know that only too well after heart surgery, my heart had been through a lot of stress, after being operated on,I was on oxygen....but we got through it, thatís the main thing,
Twink55's Avatar
Twink55
Chatterbox
Twink55 is offline
Cheshire, England
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 16,510
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
17-07-2021, 09:58 AM
27

Re: Palpitations.

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
It is scarey when you canít breathe, I know that only too well after heart surgery, my heart had been through a lot of stress, after being operated on,I was on oxygen....but we got through it, thatís the main thing,

Keep taking your pills and stay positive!
Meg's Avatar
Meg
Supervisor
Meg is offline
Worcestershire
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 42,850
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
17-07-2021, 10:07 AM
28

Re: Palpitations.

I don't call what I experience 'palpitations' which can be a symptom of many things including conditions which are life threatening .

Every 10 days I experience 'palpitations' or should I say 10 to 12 hours of misery when my heart misbehaves and doesn't work efficiently beating at 150 bpm. Insufficient blood is pumped around my body, I have difficultly breathing, my legs don't work, I feel lightheaded and someone is playing a set of drums in my chest and back making lying down difficult.

Breathing excercise help to keep me calm, anticoagulants help to prevent a stroke caused by a blood clot forming in my heart and betablockers block help my heart to cope with the condition. I have yet to try the antiarrhythmic drug sitting on my shelf because it should be started in hospital, not possible because of Covid.

I think the word 'palpitations' used loosely by some can make light of a nasty debilitating symptom.
pauline3
Chatterbox
pauline3 is offline
Hampshire UK
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 10,708
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
17-07-2021, 10:13 AM
29

Re: Palpitations.

I use the word palpitations, because that is what my specialised consultant called them, as I also had them a lot and just happened to have them when she was examining me.....

So I get ď palpitations ď.....to be expected even after open hear surgery, donít get them anything like I used to....but still get them occasionally.

They are caused by stress, anxiety, also too much caffeine, all from the mouth of a ď professional specialised consultant ď.
Twink55's Avatar
Twink55
Chatterbox
Twink55 is offline
Cheshire, England
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 16,510
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
17-07-2021, 10:53 AM
30

Re: Palpitations.

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't call what I experience 'palpitations' which can be a symptom of many things including conditions which are life threatening .

Every 10 days I experience 'palpitations' or should I say 10 to 12 hours of misery when my heart misbehaves and doesn't work efficiently beating at 150 bpm. Insufficient blood is pumped around my body, I have difficultly breathing, my legs don't work, I feel lightheaded and someone is playing a set of drums in my chest and back making lying down difficult.

Breathing excercise help to keep me calm, anticoagulants help to prevent a stroke caused by a blood clot forming in my heart and betablockers block help my heart to cope with the condition. I have yet to try the antiarrhythmic drug sitting on my shelf because it should be started in hospital, not possible because of Covid.

I think the word 'palpitations' used loosely by some can make light of a nasty debilitating symptom.
Meg, Palpitations are worrying for all of us, but on people with conditions like yours they must be very frightening.
You are always baking for your grandchildren and keeping your house & garden clean & tidy but I would be delighted to hear that you are resting a bit more or doing something that makes you smile.
Try writing to the hospital to question when they are likely to take you in, because there is little point prescribing a drug to make you better, if they wont let you go into the hospital to make sure you have no serious problems taking it.
Another way is to get your son or DIL to call an ambulance when you are feeling so bad, take the drug from the shelf with you & explain that it could solve the problems if they could keep you in and monitor your reactions to it!
Your life is just as important as any Covid patient
 
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.