Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 01:38 PM

Re: Another U turn!

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
But an ID card could replace other documents. Our government need to know who walks our streets in order to better protect us in addition to easing detection of crimes including terrorism before and after attacks.
It wouldn't replace other documents. It would be an ID card that everyone would have to carry to avoid being arrested if they didn't have it to prove their have a right to be here.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
It wouldn't replace other documents. It would be an ID card that everyone would have to carry to avoid being arrested if they didn't have it to prove their have a right to be here.
It would be whatever it was decided that it should be.

For one thing it would absolutely not be a stand alone thing. Just like our driving license or passport or bank card etc. it would be a virtual key to access a central database.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 02:52 PM

There are other ways of catching criminals than forcing the whole population to carry ID cards and spot checking them.
Tell that to anyone living in Italy. When we lived there, we lost count of the number of times we were pulled over and asked for our ID by the local plod and the carabinieri.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 04:54 PM

Why should you be stopped by the police in the first place if you aren't doing anything wrong ?

We should be left alone we do not live in a police state.
Quite correct.

However, I still believe strongly in the importance of us carrying ID.
Of course, and I'll be shot down for saying this, but the police are more likely to stop 'certain people' for identity checks, considering both the increasing number of illegal immigrants in this country and the increase in crime.

I believe that most of us (though there will be exceptions of course) would agree with the importance of doing this routinely, and the practice would be made more efficient and effective if people carried official ID.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 04:56 PM

He only "won" by voter fraud and postal votes.

Let's see what happens in the mid terms. Thats going to be interesting when we see the results from swing states that miraculously voted for him in 2020.
I have no proof, but I also suspect that there have been some shenanigans. After all, who in their right mind would vote for a leader who doesn't know what day of the week it is?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-07-2021, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Maybe it's time we did.
As a person who doesn't break the law, it would have no effect on me!

Actually, I did once when much younger.
I had a piss on the pavement after drinking excessively. However that was a long time ago and I wasn't caught!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-07-2021, 05:01 PM

We have stop and search for people suspected of committing a crime, but stopping people who are minding their own business and asking them for proof they are allowed to live here is unacceptable (my view).

laissez faire I believe ...
Why? It wouldn't bother me.
It would take all of two minutes for me to show them proof and I'd be on my way, happy that I'd have been of some help with the fight against crime.

Surely, all honest people would feel that way, wouldn't they?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-07-2021, 05:04 PM

Really?
Another way of looking at it would be a very quick and easy way to prove identity without the more lengthy way of fumbling about for driving licences, credit cards, bus passes, etc.

If I forgot my ID, I'm sure I wouldn't be automatically arrested if I could prove my identity in some other reliable way.
Criminals and illegals, of course, might find that more difficult.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 05:39 PM

The database that WOULD be associated with personal ID physical "card" would, and it certainly would, enable establishing movements, associates, events and more. Sadly we now NEED this because the rats are now eating the foundations of society.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 05:46 PM

I'm ok with an ID card I think....its where the information is stored and how it is stored that bothers me. Having been the victim of ID theft before, I would be more concerned with the security of data than having to carry a card around.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top