Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 10:29 AM

Re: How Is Your Fridge Coping With This Hot Weather?

Perhaps I ought to mention that our freezer is certainly not over-filled.
In fact, there is very little in it, as we are so poor.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 10:31 AM

My very ancient fridge freezer (over 20) is doing just fine and keeping cool things cool and frozen things frozen

I reward its good behaviour by cleaning and defrosting regularly.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I hadn't thought about that.

All I can say is that the numbers on the front:
fridge 4 degrees, freezer -18 degrees
are the same as they have always been.

I've no idea about how the food is faring, though. That's Marge's department.

JBR, Thank You, I checked the temperature and it was on 5, so l turned it down to 4 and l hope that helps.
Poor Marge, she has a hard life!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Tip: If your food is freezing in the chilling compartment, it MAY BE due to an over load of food in the freezer. Try moving vegetables lower in the fridg. Also, an over loaded freezer works much, much harder if over loaded and you elec bill goes up.
Bakerman, Thank You for your tip. It did actually have lots of cartons of strawberries, grapes and mushrooms.
I have now taken your advice and taken everything out and rearranged them.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

23-07-2021, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
It’s more likely due to having too much stuff in your fridge.
Items need air around them and having too much stuff doesn’t allow that. Our fridge works perfectly fine but not when it’s crowded with too much stuff.
Bratti, Thank You for your advice. As l posted above to Bakerman, l have now rearranged everything.

Fingers crossed!!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

23-07-2021, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I haven't changed the fridge temps at all, during the hot weather and everything is staying as it should be. Maybe its working harder due to the hotness, unless you nudged the thermostat by mistake?
Thank You. Yes, l wondered that too! Pixie.
As l mentioned above it was set at 5 and maybe that was the trouble?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 11:32 AM

https://www.whirlpool.com/blog/kitch...rigerator.html

Looks like bakerman was probably the closest and offered the best initial advice.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

23-07-2021, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Check that the temperature adjuster inside the fridge hasn't been accidently nudged at some time. I had this problem with a larder fridge and somehow I'd caught the adjuster knob at some time and lowered the internal temperature so low it was frosting items the lower shelves.
LongDriver, Thank You, l am hoping that is the answer.

The thing is as l have mentioned recently, my kitchen appliances that l am sure were installed in ?2006 when l had my kitchen done, are getting old!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

23-07-2021, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
My fridge is fine although it does run out of drinks faster than it did.

Local supermarket not so lucky though. Two days ago, the refrigeration system failed resulting in £7,500 of food waste.
Thank You, Longy.

That’s a lot of food to waste, especially as there could be shortages of food.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

23-07-2021, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Oh Arty, what a time for your fridge to start playing up.

No, ours is fine so as others have said it looks like yours might have a problem.
Ours is a very tall AEG that could, if needed, quite easily fit me inside it and we make good use of all the space too plus it has an inbuilt fan system to help keep a consistent temperature throughout.
It's not like those American-style jobs with ice-makers, just a normal refrigerator - but taller.

It also has a few settings you can use if - as Bratti suggests - perhaps you were to suddenly overfill it after a large shop for example and need things quickly cooled.

People do sometimes question the need for a large refrigerator in the home, but especially in weather like we have had recently it is invaluable.

Thank You, Zaphod.
I should have mentioned that it is the ‘fridge’ in a fridge/freezer.
Until, l saw the replies on here, l had no idea that overfilling a fridge caused such problems!
It wasn’t really overfilled, it was more the cartons that took up all the room!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top