Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 09:37 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Jem, you know your stuff, are there any particles in a Wormhole? and, are they likely to collide??

And, are there two sets of testicles on a worm?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 01:54 PM

Impressive reading there Jem. From molehills to wormholes ...to testicles.

Lot to cogitate on there

So the colds are doing there rounds...Fear not.. to save you ringing that bell there are some old remedies you could try.

To ward off illness make yourself an yourself an attractive necklace made of onions and wear it help absorb the germs from your body. (You might prefer the less dramatic option and opt for making onion tea instead )

Or how about about the good old English Dirty socks and Lard scarf treatment...This calls for massaging lard onto your neck and then wrapping it up in dirty socks.

(The actual benefits of this one are a tad questionable but at least it will be a warning sign for those around you that you're infected.)

Not that we would need telling

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 08:15 PM

Naturally there are two sets of testicles on a worm Spitty, a set at each end, how else are they to reproduce when cut in half?
Have you never heard that old saying “God provides to make the lesser equal” doesn’t matter how big or small one is, the one with the right tools gets the job done.

“Oh to find me a Wormhole, where I could travel through space
To get off this greedy old Planet, and find me a far better place
And as I wriggle my way through it, without a worry or care
I wonder who will greet me, when I finally arrive there.”
With my luck it would probably be the early bird, ah well, that’s what you when you act the maggot.

I’m suffering in silence here sitting in the armchair, I’m trying not to mention my ailment Solo, but those suggestions sound more like a cure for the black death than a common cold, thanks but no thanks I’ll stick to me aspirin, cloves, and lemon all in a glass of hot whiskey, I’ve had three already and I’m beginning to feel wonderful, yes quite wonderful indeed, hic!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 10:20 PM

B sides, are they better?

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 10:21 PM

The daughter comes in from town today saying she got a great bargain in one of the shops, it was a lovely sky blue jumper and it looked good on her when she put it on to show me. Then came the usual guessing game “How much would you say I paid for it dad?” “I wouldn’t have a clue” said I in all honesty “Only 29.99 euros” says she. Why couldn’t she say 30 euros? nobody takes the one cent back, it’s humiliation to a customer and the shops know full well it is, but they still use it all the time.

If a comedian tells the oldest joke in the world someone will laugh, if a trader applies the oldest selling trick in the book, like “Only $29.99”, folks will still think they are saving a dollar, if a politician at election time promises the sun moon and stars some will actually believe him/her.
It never fails, oh yes some get the message but others never will, we have learned nothing from history except dates, each generation keeps falling for the same old tricks.
People remember the dates alright, but never the lessons that matter or the mistakes that were made, we seem to be doomed to repeat history forever.

I used dollars in that example because there is no pound or euro signs on this wireless 8 inch long keyboard, it’s Chinese made for the American market, smashing little board all the same and goes forever on 2 AAA batteries, it comes with a rubbery plastic cover that’s easily washed and covers the keyboard while in use, keeps it in pristine condition as you can see, we all know how dirty keyboards can get and how awkward they are to clean without getting them wet. It came with a matching mouse and cost 14 euros three years ago, best keyboard investment I ever made, who needs the pound or euro sign when one can just type pounds or euros in.

Reading about old currencies I just found out that the Sumerian word for beer was “cash”, and the Dupondius was a Roman coin equal to two asses. Now I’ve heard that two heads are better than one, but two asses? and just at a time when toilet rolls are becoming as scarce as hens teeth.

Did you know Richard III was 58 and not 32 when he died? How did they know that? When they dug him up in 2015 to rebury him in Leicester Cathedral they found a date up his backside.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

16-10-2019, 10:22 PM

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

16-10-2019, 10:24 PM

Dunno, learnt a lot, just waiting for the context to kick in.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->

I used dollars in that example because there is no pound or euro signs on this wireless 8 inch long keyboard, it’s Chinese made for the American market, smashing little board all the same and goes forever on 2 AAA batteries, it comes with a rubbery plastic cover that’s easily washed and covers the keyboard while in use, keeps it in pristine condition as you can see, we all know how dirty keyboards can get and how awkward they are to clean without getting them wet. It came with a matching mouse and cost 14 euros three years ago, best keyboard investment I ever made, who needs the pound or euro sign when one can just type pounds or euros in.
Jem, you can get the euro sign by holding down Alt and 4. See if that works on your keyboard.

Not sure where the £ sign comes from though.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 08:51 AM

This penny short of a pound has always struck me as fiddly and bothersome and I did once ask for the reasoning behind it. I was quite surprised that before the psychology of fooling us that something was cheaper kicked in it was originally to do with honesty.

There was a fear that something priced at a £1.00 would result in the cashier pocketing the money....whereas a 99 pence item would mean that they would have to open the register and give a penny in change. Few cash registers printed receipts back then.

Fair enough but still grates..bit like 'Its only worth something till you try to sell it'.

A few years ago I was given a bright shiny 50 pence in my change which showed poor old Harold trying to dislodge that arrow from his eye at the Battle of Hasting cock up. Feeling sentimental for poor old Harold I popped it into the middle bit of my purse where I keep the lucky penny you always get when given a new purse...and there it has stayed.

This week I read they are bringing out new 50 pence coins to celebrate bringing out the new 50 pence coins and how much some are now worth. This is where good old Harold pops up again as he has made it onto the value list and is apparently worth a mint because of rarity... no doubt caused by old girls like me sentamentally popping them into there purse side pockets.

This all looks wonderful ....until I try to sell him and then some coin dealer will peer over his magnifying glass...tut tut..shake his head and say "these Harold 50 pences coins are 10 a penny" and then seeing my obvious disappointment offer me tuppence for him.

Funny how some things devalue so quickly isn't it.
solo
UK

17-10-2019, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Jem, you can get the euro sign by holding down Alt and 4. See if that works on your keyboard.

Not sure where the £ sign comes from though.
Did try this Mags as I have a similer keyboard as Jem but all I got was the ping so tried Ctrl + Alt + 4 and that worked for the sign €. Ta muchly

Found this for you

The £ symbol derives from a capital "L", representing libra pondo, the basic unit of weight in the Roman Empire, which in turn is derived from the Latin word, libra, meaning scales or a balance.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top