Join for free
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 04:51 PM

Roof cleaning

Our tiled roof is badly needing cleaning and I am unsure whether to have it done by the high or low pressure method. I have heard reports of high pressure damaging the surface of the tiles. Has anybody had any experience of either method?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 04:58 PM

Re: Roof cleaning

It's tempting to use a jet wash on roof tiles but personally I wouldn't take the chance. Pressure washing is very harsh so I reckon it will damage the surface, particularly if your roof tiles are concrete.

I'm no expert though so let's see what others have to say.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 05:01 PM

One needs to be careful about cleaning tiled roofs. if it is just moss then best leave alone especially if they are old tiles.

If you do go ahead best take a photo of the roof first as one of the tricks is to get you to pay for a replacement tile that was not damaged in the first place.

if you don't have a leaking roof then best leave be, messing about having it cleaned could cause more damage than you expect
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 05:08 PM

My son has just had his roof done..with a pressure washer...not sure what setting they were using...he told me last night..that they sprayed downwards,on the tiles,not upwards...he is very pleased with the job.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 07:20 AM

My feeling is - if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

Roof tiles can become brittle with age - pressure washing can leave small cracks. You may not see them but the rain will!
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 05:35 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I have a local roofing contractor coming next week to give me advice. The tiles are clay and the house is 50 years old.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 09:48 PM

we had recently a leaking from porch

So we had a really nice good roofer repair it, the lead gully had somehow got bent and caused the leak. This meant ripping off the under facing thin plywood and my replacing with timber. could not get a carpenter to do it, so did it myself

Even though he was very careful a couple of tiles broke by just touching them and that is on a house built in the mid 1980's

so do think twice before any work is done to an old roof
scot37
Aberdeenshire

17-10-2019, 10:11 AM

I have plenty of spare tiles. We put out dormer windows at the front and I kept all the tiles that were removed.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top