Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 01:23 PM

Any advice would be helpful

Recently we sold our static caravan, just can't afford it any more, we sold it for just over £500 it wasn't worth much more and we just wanted to not have to pay the next years ground rent so let it go cheap.

Anyway the site owner has been onto us wanting a £500 transfer fee. We have never had any contract with her when we bought the van originally she just gave us a cash receipt no contract or rules were given to us.

My feeling is as this is a sum she has only just mentioned, never knew about it previously that we should sit back and let her try to sue us for it as she has done nothing for that money just read the electric meter and sent us the bill which we have paid.

But she has banned the new owners from the site until we pay which seems totally unfair and I am worried they may want their money back which we no longer have !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 01:30 PM

Re: Any advice would be helpful

I would get onto the Citizens Advice quick .... It sounds wrong to me - nothing signed, but you need expert advice here .....
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 01:40 PM

Contact CAB, Julie?
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 01:53 PM

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/selling-your-static-caravan
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 01:56 PM

We were part way through the year so the licence was still in effect. But this charge has never been mentioned in the 4 years we have been there. We have never seen a contract or a list of site rules other than keep dogs on a lead.

Will try the CAB I think as it seems unfair at the very least.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We were part way through the year so the licence was still in effect. But this charge has never been mentioned in the 4 years we have been there. We have never seen a contract or a list of site rules other than keep dogs on a lead.

Will try the CAB I think as it seems unfair at the very least.
Good, at least they should put you in the picture on your rights .....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 08:04 PM

Apparently they are entitled to charge a fee. When my parents sold their caravan back to the site in Clacton there was a fee payable. Or a tax of some sort. I even did a little research and spoke to some organisation in London and they said it was correct and legal.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Recently we sold our static caravan, just can't afford it any more, we sold it for just over £500 it wasn't worth much more and we just wanted to not have to pay the next years ground rent so let it go cheap.

Anyway the site owner has been onto us wanting a £500 transfer fee. We have never had any contract with her when we bought the van originally she just gave us a cash receipt no contract or rules were given to us.

My feeling is as this is a sum she has only just mentioned, never knew about it previously that we should sit back and let her try to sue us for it as she has done nothing for that money just read the electric meter and sent us the bill which we have paid.

But she has banned the new owners from the site until we pay which seems totally unfair and I am worried they may want their money back which we no longer have !
Had this 20 years ago before I moved to America.

You have to let the site owner give you a price and then if you sell it for more to some one else you can keep the differance.

Another link that might help http://www.staticcaravan.co.uk/page22.html

Look at 20 to 23
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

19-08-2013, 09:32 PM

Well will be interesting as we have no contract to see them try and get money from us as we aren't exactly flush with it. Will be seeking advice from CAB, have today sent a letter asking to see a copy of the contract they reckon we signed, as we know we didn't sign one it could be interesting.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 10:42 AM

Good luck, Julie. You would certainly think that if you never had a contract they shouldn't be able to enforce it, but I fear they may try to claim a presumed contract on the basis of the time you had your caravan there. Hope not, though.
Let us know how you get on, please.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top