Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 12:05 PM

New online security checks exclude people without mobile phones or decent signal

Why your online payments could be blocked if you don't use a mobile phone

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/06...s_Money_170619
Banks may soon require you to use your mobile phone to validate online payments – but if you don’t have one, or live in a mobile coverage blackspot, you could be left out in the cold.

By 14 September 2019, you’ll no longer be able to pay online using just your credit or debit card details, as payment service providers across the EU introduce an additional layer of security to better defend against fraud.

Banks are telling customers to confirm online card payments by entering a unique security code sent by text message or via push notification (if you have the mobile banking app).

While these extra steps should make online payments safer, customers who don’t – or can’t – use a mobile phone may be forced to call their bank or visit their local branch to complete online security checks.
You have been warned .....
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 12:35 PM

Re: New online security checks exclude people without mobile phones or decent signal

I know it's for security, and fraud is rife BUT, certainly up here it's going to cause a problem for many people. There are quite a few black spots that I know of and there's bound to be more. I think there needs to be another way.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 01:07 PM

Re: New online security checks exclude people without mobile phones or decent signal

How hard is it? My bank just sends my mobile a security number to be entered, it is even easier because I do most of my banking on my phone anyway and my phone needs my finger print to open.

So easy. I can't believe the UK has that many black spots to be a problem. Sometimes when I am travelling I might have to use my phone via my Telstra wifi in a town on the way but it isn't that difficult a problem to over come.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 01:07 PM

I have never thought mobile telephones are safe enough for internet banking. I won't be doing it if there is any other alternative. I have a decent laptop and much prefer to come home and do my banking and purchasing on my lappy which I know is secure. Can't understand why they can't accommodate laptops. I don't like the small screens on mobiles anyway.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 01:54 PM

It all seems to be getting a bit too invasive. They want to know everything about us so nothing is private any longer.

Where does it end ? If it's not happening already, I foresee all babies chipped at birth and from then on, control at every level in all things.

Between Google , Facebook, and the upcoming 5G, we can't escape.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 02:10 PM

Already fell foul of this.

Tried to buy some 4 weeks ago and instead of the usual transaction pop up I got a window asking me for my mobile phone number. I declined naturally and so the purchase was blocked and so was my bank card.

I had to ring the fraud team and they then insisted that I turn up to my bank in person to verify who I was. Utterly ridiculous.

This has nothing to do with security imho. Everything is now being geared up to tracking your every move and requesting mobile phone numbers.

You can't get free WiFi in a Costa shop without giving your mobile number (which I never do)

All a pile of crap as we head inexorably towards Orwell's 1984 world.

If we all refuse to give mobile numbers then they will have to take stock.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 03:14 PM

Problem is Realist, the young ones won't think twice about handing out their mobile number.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 03:14 PM

No way, if I even had a mobile phone, would do any bank dealings with it or even on the internet
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 02:08 AM

I can't see it as a problem, just get a cheap phone and another SIM card and use that exclusively for banking or financial transactions if you are concerned about security. Use your main phone for your personal stuff.

You can get phones for $30 up and pay as you go phone service for $10 a year (remember you are only receiving texts or calls). It is no big deal.

A variation of this happens in China just about everybody has two phones one for personal and banking (even minor transactions are carried out by Vpay - a branch of their Vchat) and another phone for business and other use (ie they put the phone number on the dash of their car so people can call if the car needs to be moved)

I think you are creating problems where none exists.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 05:26 PM

It might not be as bad as I thought. Just had a message when I opened my on-line banking. It told me of the changes and how they would work. A mobile is probably not necessary. The bank asked me which device I wanted to use for identification purposes. I confirmed that I wanted the device I was on (which is my laptop) and it said they had registered it as the device I wanted to use for ID confirmation. That might be all there is to it then - fingers crossed.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top