Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2019, 12:54 PM

Re: Arthritis

This morning there’s damp and drizzle in the air but I could only push myself up and out of bed with difficulty before I knew that so guessed that would be the case .
Pain in hands , wrists and fingers , buttocks ( last night hurt just sitting watching tv) knees ,shoulders and upper arms .
Think I’m going to ask doctor if there wasnt a mistake when my blood test for Polymyalgia Rheumatica came back negative.
If this is happening now before winter sets in .

Some of my accquatainces wear morphine type patches and walk around town with their shopping trolleys walking perfectly ok .
I wonder what their level of pain was to need these ?
What side effects they’re prepared to accept .
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
This morning there’s damp and drizzle in the air but I could only push myself up and out of bed with difficulty before I knew that so guessed that would be the case .
Pain in hands , wrists and fingers , buttocks ( last night hurt just sitting watching tv) knees ,shoulders and upper arms .
Think I’m going to ask doctor if there wasnt a mistake when my blood test for Polymyalgia Rheumatica came back negative.
If this is happening now before winter sets in .

Some of my accquatainces wear morphine type patches and walk around town with their shopping trolleys walking perfectly ok .
I wonder what their level of pain was to need these ?
What side effects they’re prepared to accept .
I haven't used Morphine yet. So far I've had more kind of general all over aches and pains on wet damp days and actual swelling of fingers and knees when temps drop under 10 degrees so usually on and off from autumn to around March, (though we have had snow and freezing temps as late as April up here).

Only had swelling for a much longer period when I had a really bad sciatica attack last Feb triggered be me pulling a muscle just getting dressed and a couple of years back an allergic reaction triggered severe swelling of leg which made the arthritis in the knee on that side worse for the next year until the circulation started to recover in that leg.

It's not permanently swollen on that side now but when my knees do get bad with the cold it does tend to swell a bit more and be a bit more painful on the 'circulation-damaged' side. (been told the leg swelling to double the size on that size has damaged the veins on that side so knee swelling due to arthritis makes the calf swell too on that side. It has been so painful I can barely walk round the house (even using two crutches to put weight on too) and I had to use a wheelchair just to get from my bed to the loo, shouting in agony every time I had to shift weight onto that leg. (to transfer) If the pain levels were going to be permanently that bad every day for the rest of my life I might be tempted to try the morphine patches myself!

I've used the magnetic things like bioflow etc for pain relief with CBD oil and a traumeel ointment on muscles (herbal but doesn't have ibuprofen). Have heard of capsicum creams but not tried them or checked ingredients but have taken capsules with it in.

After research I'm trying Co-enzyme Q10, Turmeric and Rutin as they all help heart health, boost immune system (which should then reduce swelling and pain during flare ups) and circulation and vein health. Plus as much exercise as I can manage between now and autumn and hope it reduces symptoms this winter if I manage to get physically fitter!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 02:29 PM

So are you not taking any prescribed meds Susan ?

Today it’s damp and humid .
The pain in my right hand is hampering me .
Couldn’t lift the kettle with it ,had to use two hands , had to get through the pain when it had boiled which scrunched me up and made me yelp .
Turning taps on are proving difficult now .

Yesterday I resorted to taking my first painkiller in 8 years ,only a soluble paracetamol . It made me feel sick so looked up the added ingredients , maybe one of those doesn’t agree with me .

Trying to cut wheat out of my diet , I love Alpen cereal but I’ve only taken porridge oats this past week .
BrendaAnderson
New Member!
United States
BrendaAnderson is female 

17-08-2019, 11:26 AM

Take care of your health and take proper rest.
BrendaAnderson
New Member!
United States
BrendaAnderson is female 

17-08-2019, 12:02 PM

You probably don't think about your shoulders much, until you suddenly experience pain in one of them. If you do experience shoulder pain, it's not always possible to figure out the cause. Recently my aunt was suffering from this type of pain and was confused what to do next so she enrolled herself for the [**sorry, link drops are not allowed] from The Health Exchange Agency which is a budget-friendly plan.
Zuleika
North West UK

17-08-2019, 02:01 PM

I would have thought anyone who experienced pain they were not used to would consult their GP
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 04:14 PM

I have had a rotator cuff injury being a full time wheelchair user previously for many years. Our bodies aren't designed for self propelling wheelchairs or leaning our weight heavily on crutches.

I have tried some prescription meds before in a bad attack but they didn't agree with my stomach (made me feel sick all the time) and I'm limited anyway as allergic to Ibuprofen so can't take anything with that in or use muscle rubs that say not to use if you're allergic to Ibuprofen.

I can tolerate paracetomol with codeine in but it only takes the edge off the pain and doesn't really do anything for the inflammation, so have had to do my own research to find an alternative pain and inflammation relief I wasn't allergic to!
Zuleika
North West UK

18-08-2019, 06:06 PM

Susan do you take fish oils either in your diet or supplements ?
I’ve never tried supplements like cod liver oil capsules so I’m going to ask for a blood test to see if my vitamin d levels are low .
Seems this is the way to go at the moment as a deficiency can cause a lot of pain .
Susan68
Up North, UK

21-08-2019, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Susan do you take fish oils either in your diet or supplements ?
I’ve never tried supplements like cod liver oil capsules so I’m going to ask for a blood test to see if my vitamin d levels are low .
Seems this is the way to go at the moment as a deficiency can cause a lot of pain .
not had cod liver oil supplements, taken Turmeric (with piperine) and Co-enzyme Q10, coconut oil, one had Rutin, Papin and Serrapeptase in I used that for shrinking fibroids as it was said to strip fibrin. (a scan has shown that they have shrunk)

I take another with a combination of spices etc to help circulation. Have to admit I never thought of something as simple as vitamin D and cod liver oil, I do eat white fish reguarly and like tuna.

Can't remember of the top of my head which other foods contain vit D but I'm on quite an healthy diet - have lots of veg, some fruits, mainly fish or vegetarian meat substitutes, wholemeal bread and pasta etc. (+ the occasional treat! )
Susan68
Up North, UK

21-08-2019, 09:27 PM

Just found this online, don't know how I missed this!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...sufferers.html

I've found some free from beef gelatin so will order some to try for a month.
Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top