Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 07:45 PM

Re: Can google cause memory loss??

Originally Posted by mart ->
I don't think Google causes memory loss because mostly, we are looking for information that we didn't have in the first place. Google (other search engines are available) is no more than a quick way of finding that information . BeforMarte Internet searches, we'd have to resort to books (for instance) and that took a whole lot longer. I don't think we're generally going to forget information just because we gained it quickly and easily via the Internet rather than from a book.

Names or other information that we have known but can't bring easily to mind can be searched for in order to jog the memory at the right time ..when in conversation on a particular topic for example. This saves the information being 'on the tip of the tongue' and not quite remembered. It's not that it wouldn't be remembered given time but this usually happens in a 'Ureka!' moment at three o'clock in the morning when remembering it has become quite irrelevant. That's just life, especially as we get older. Nothing to do with the Internet era in my opinion.

Yes Mart, l get your drift, l have thought about this quite a
lot.
From your reply it seems you believe that we are still using
our brains in other ways when we use google and so we
wont be affecting our evolutionary imperative to USE IT OR
LOSE IT!
I contend that that imperative will still operate because not
enough people will use their brains for other things vthan
storing memories? The vast majority will just use google as
if it were their own brain, due mainly to the bhuman trait of
laziness etc, and will not bother to USE IT as it were?
Therefore, given enough time the human brain will cotract as
it is no longer needed for bsurvival to the extent it used
to be?
What do you think?

Regards Donkeyman!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
What do you think?

Regards Donkeyman!
I think as we take in the information sought after on the Internet, we aren't letting the brain be used less. We're gaining knowledge, assessing its value and coming to conclusions. Hence the thought processes are still taking place, the brain is still being exercised and the mind expanded.

Evidence this is taking place is in this forum. The way we can all read the same thing but come to different conclusions on what is written. Then go on to discuss it to varying degrees. All signs that we, as Internet users/searchers, have very active minds that can carry out all of its functions, including retaining memories.

However, I think it is sometimes quite normal not to be able to recall something unless thought about for a while. That just seems to be a human trait, Internet user or not.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 11:05 PM

I have never used sat nav LD! I am still using maps.
And l never get lost on long distance trips.
I am glad I am not alone! I love maps.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am glad I am not alone! I love maps.
So do l ST, especially ordnance maps with contours etc!
their is so much information available from a map!

Regards Donkeyman!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 12:33 AM

No but I think it can cause privacy loss.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 09:18 AM

I think it makes us lazy and not using your brain can cause memory loss and cognitive impairment. I wouldn't mind so much if I could find everything I wanted on google, but it seems to have less and less information on it. Just a load of rubbish turns up on some searches. It's a pity they don't have more robust competition.

Microsoft are no better. Yesterday I was trying to find a standard function on excel (share workbook) as it had disappeared from the toolbar on my updated version. Turns out they have made it a legacy item apparently to make people use their online sharing technology. I managed to add it to ribbon but it is pretty disturbing that these corporations have so much control over our lives and we have no say in what they do.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

23-08-2019, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I think as we take in the information sought after on the Internet, we aren't letting the brain be used less. We're gaining knowledge, assessing its value and coming to conclusions. Hence the thought processes are still taking place, the brain is still being exercised and the mind expanded.

Evidence this is taking place is in this forum. The way we can all read the same thing but come to different conclusions on what is written. Then go on to discuss it to varying degrees. All signs that we, as Internet users/searchers, have very active minds that can carry out all of its functions, including retaining memories.

However, I think it is sometimes quite normal not to be able to recall something unless thought about for a while. That just seems to be a human trait, Internet user or not.
Maybe that applies to you Mart?
But l contend that the vast majority of users only use it for
trivialities such as the price of curry powder or what the
weather is doing or what time you got up and what you
might have for lunch etc?
I am talking about large time scales of over half a million
years or so, long enough for evolution to take place?
You may say, and l would agree that it is irrelevant as we
are not likely to be around if current trends continue?
But l posed the question as a theoreticle possibility
given time and continueing trends

Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

23-08-2019, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I think that is a given, Keezoy?
Could be important especially as the planet gets more
crowded?

Regards Donkeyman!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
We all accept a privacy risk by being on the Internet at all. The Internet isn't a very private place. As regards search engines, some say they don't store your search terms. I use Startpage but another search engine that says it increases privacy by not recording searches is DuckDuckGo.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 08:14 AM

So do l ST, especially ordnance maps with contours etc!
their is so much information available from a map!

Regards Donkeyman!
Oh yes! I used to go orienteering when I was younger - and loved it.

Digressing for a moment - have you come across this little gem? It is brilliant - keeps me quiet for ages!

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/sho...book-2018.html

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top