Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 03:54 PM

Re: Hot food in the fridge?

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Not yet, Besoeker, but I will. My comment was born from a course I did on Food Hygiene - and the recommendation was definitely NO HOT FOOD in a refrigerator - definitely cover it, definitely cool it as quickly as possible - but do not put it in the refrigerator.

However I am always open to learning new things - so now I will go and follow your linky!

Same here, Tabs. I had to do my Food Hygiene course too.
I also agree with Omah.

Besoeker's article did also say to get stuff put away within 2 hours, which of course makes sense, but NOT while it's still hot. I don't care what the Americans do.

Stands to reason it will alter the temperature of the fridge, so other things will not be ale to maintain the correct temperature for a while at least. To kieep doing that would be very foolish IMO.
You can imagine something like a large casserole dish being put on a fridge shelf, that would certainly alter the fridge temperature.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 04:36 PM

I just can't believe that anybody would even ask such as obvious question.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 05:02 PM

Been there now - read it - and discarded it. Sorry, Besoeker but america is not reknowned for it's food safety. I'll stick with what I learned on my course.
Indeed .....

https://stilltasty.com/questions/index/24

Question: Can I put hot food in the refrigerator?

Answer: It’s fine to place hot food directly in the refrigerator.

Don’t worry about overheating the fridge — as the U.S. Department of Agriculture points out, the refrigerator’s thermostat will keep it running to maintain a safe temperature of 40° F or below.

What you do need to worry about is whether the hot food will cool off quickly enough to reach a safe temperature once it’s in the refrigerator. So never put deep containers of hot food in the refrigerator — instead, place the hot food in shallow containers so it will chill quickly.

If you prefer, you can also quick-chill the food in an ice water bath before refrigerating it.
https://www.doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFam...odSafety/Myths

Myth: You shouldn't put hot foods in the refrigerator.

FACT: Hot food can be placed in the refrigerator. Large amounts of food should be divided into small portions and put in shallow containers for quicker cooling in the refrigerator. Perishable foods should be put in a refrigerator that is 40 degrees or below within 2 hours of preparation. If you leave food out to cool and forget about it after 2 hours, throw it away. Bacteria can grow rapidly on food left out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. If food is left out in a room our outdoors where the temperature is 90 degrees F or hotter, food should be refrigerated or discarded within just 1 hour.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 05:48 PM

Been there now - read it - and discarded it. Sorry, Besoeker but america is not reknowned for it's food safety. I'll stick with what I learned on my course.
As it happens, my dear wife is American. She is far more concerned about food hygiene and use by dates than I am.

On the hot food thing. It depends on how much mass and temperature difference there is compared to what is already in the fridge including the fridge components themselves. That's just secondary school physics.

Slightly off at a tangent, I like my beer really cold. I regularly put one off the shelf into the freezer. I don't expect it to melt any frozen food.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 05:55 PM

Hot food + cold fridge = condensation which means puddles of water on/in everything
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
As it happens, my dear wife is American. She is far more concerned about food hygiene and use by dates than I am.

On the hot food thing. It depends on how much mass and temperature difference there is compared to what is already in the fridge including the fridge components themselves. That's just secondary school physics.

Slightly off at a tangent, I like my beer really cold. I regularly put one off the shelf into the freezer. I don't expect it to melt any frozen food.

Ey? The difference is, I doubt your beer has just come out the oven though!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ey? The difference is, I doubt your beer has just come out the oven though!
Correct. But the temperature difference can be 50 deg C which more than what you might have between left over food and your fridge temperature.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 06:46 PM

No disrespect intended to your wife, Besoeker, but I am still playing safe.

What I cook I cover - then cool as soon as quickly as I can - usually with buckets of ice - before putting into either the refrigerator or the freezer.

I haven't poisoned anyone yet - not accidentally anyway !!??
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->

Unless a fridge is empty, how can the average person measure whether they have the right food to space ratio to accommodate a hotpot from the oven? In the US they also have electric sockets in the bathroom.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

28-08-2019, 10:26 PM

No disrespect intended to your wife, Besoeker, but I am still playing safe.

What I cook I cover - then cool as soon as quickly as I can - usually with buckets of ice - before putting into either the refrigerator or the freezer.

I haven't poisoned anyone yet - not accidentally anyway !!??
That's one of the nice things that keeps me on this forum.
We can agree to disagree amicably.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top