Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 07:28 AM

Re: Chiropractors are they any good?

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Are Chiropractors any good?

I suppose it depends on two things, Muddy.

First, it probably depends what the problem is, and secondly, it depends on whether you find a good practitioner or a lousy one.

For example, I know the bones at the lower end of my spine are 'degenerating.' Had the x-rays done.
Well obviously my chiropractor can't make them new again, so some would say she didn't fix it.

But I know, things have a knock-on affect.
If my back aches, I may not walk or stand equally balanced.
If I keep putting extra weight to one side instead of equal, I will cause more problems on the side I am over-using.
My pelvis will try to compensate and this causes more trouble.

Also, if my back aches at night, it wakes me up every time I turn over, so I don't get quality sleep - which in turn affects how we feel the next day.

On the other hand, if the top end of my spine is playing up, not only will it spread into my shoulders, it will go up into the back of my neck and start causing headaches.

See what I mean about things having a knock-on affect?

I have been seeing my McTimoney chiropractor for about probably 14/15 years now. I know when I need to see her, and I know what happens if I ignore it.
If I nip a problem in the bud, it stops it in it's tracks.

It has turned out that mostly (but not always) I can last about 3 months between visits, and I can feel I am then due for another treatment.

I would only use McTimoney, I have tried ordinary chiropractic, and also osteopathy but for me, it is McTimoney that wins hands down - plus they are very, very gentle and don't click bones about like the others do.

Maybe I am lucky with my lovely lady. We get on really well.
She did 7 years training instead of the usual 5, because she wanted to help animals as well. She does horses and dogs too.

A good few years ago my old Lurcher slipped a disc. The vet x-rayed and showed me what she had done. All he could offer her were pain killers.

I thought all the pain killers in the world wouldn't move that disc back where it came from, and I didn't want her on strong drugs for long, so I took her to my friend.
I stayed with her, and held her still for my chripractor to work on her, and 40 mins later that dog jumped back in the car (she wasn't supposed to, little monkey), and never had a problem again.
The vet was impressed.

Having said all this, I do firmly believe there are good and bad people in any 'trade'. I am lucky in finding one who is supberb, and that is why I stay with her.
I have seen others who are not so good.

That's all I can honestly say, Muddy, except why on earth would they expect you to have 2 treatments per WEEK for months on end???

Either you have a more severe problem than I have, or they're having you on!

I think I might get a second opinion.

Have a look and see what's in your area:

http://www.mctimoneytrust.org/44/Fin...l-Chiropractor
Thank for this excellent post Mups
I know about mctimoney as Mr Mctimoney was well known as practically the first man who did horses backs .
My symptoms are exactly the same as you describe and the chiropractor pointed them out .
I see how the knock on effect works
I ‘favore’one side more than the other like a lame horse !
I expect as a life long professional horsewoman ( as well as old age ) to have some problems .
The chiropractor I saw is gentle I don’t think she is mctimoney but there is one nearby .

I suppose they push the appointments because I had told her I was going to be away for a while .
Where she lost me was going on about diet ( all my favourite foods are bad and cause inflammation ) the doctor says this is not so and I fail to see how diet can effect the bone determination on the vertebrae which is never going to go away .
I fell asleep on the sofa last night and my back is definitely worse this morning .
I am in two minds but having back trouble certainly colours and restricts day to day living .
This growing old business is no fun .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Some years ago now I had a lot of neck pain and bad headaches so went to see an osteopath as I couldn't get in quickly to see a physiotherapist on the NHS. The first session was massaging my upper back and neck which did relieve some of the pain. The next session was the same but with a quick twist of my neck, a cracking noise and the disc causing the problem was back in place.

Putting that disc out in the first place was caused by lifting something heavy and awkwardly. That now must have been 40 years ago and no problems since then, 'touch wood'.

I don't know anything about chiropractors but the links below have information that may be of use to you. The second link has information on all three – physiotherapists, chiropractors and osteopaths. Hope these are of some help:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/chiropractic/

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/uk/f...h-chiropracto/
Thank you Baz .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

06-09-2019, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I would recommend a physiotherapist over a chiro any day. JMO
My doctor says the same and has put me on the waiting list for one it’s takes a couple of months unless I go private which I did before about a year ago
I can’t remember if it did me any good or not maybe it did and their I probably stopped doing the exercises.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 08:14 AM

Years of working at a computer and then working in footcare i had a bad neck and back and got my first frozen shoulder, i was unable to dress or wash or do much at all , the pain was awful . I went to a fully qualified chiropractor for months . I found initially that the pain eased for about 24/48 hours as he would give deep massage which was great but the pain came back . I was off work 2 months . The frozen shoulder took around a year to de freeze completely .

Guess what i then got a frozen shoulder on the other side another year of pain and discomfort till it de frosted but i was retired which helped .

I think the body has somethng called cellular memory and returns to what it is and massage or therapy is temporary
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Years of working at a computer and then working in footcare i had a bad neck and back and got my first frozen shoulder, i was unable to dress or wash or do much at all , the pain was awful . I went to a fully qualified chiropractor for months . I found initially that the pain eased for about 24/48 hours as he would give deep massage which was great but the pain came back . I was off work 2 months . The frozen shoulder took around a year to de freeze completely .

Guess what i then got a frozen shoulder on the other side another year of pain and discomfort till it de frosted but i was retired which helped .

I think the body has somethng called cellular memory and returns to what it is and massage or therapy is temporary

I think there is some truth in that, Susan.
My chiropractor said something similar, and this is another reason I nip things in the bud.

She said if our body is allowed to stay out of alignment for long, it 'remembers' this, and after we go for a treatment, it sometimes thinks - 'hold on, this isn't how it was', and will slip back to where it was before treatment.
This has happened to me once or twice, and I have had to go back to her. I always find after the second treatment it 'stays put' though.

Good l uck Muddy, and I hope you get some relief soon.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 12:44 PM

Mups . Yes that's interesting to hear .

I used to go to bed after the chiropractor and relax my shoulder into the pillow and I could sleep reasonably pain free until 24 hrs passed then I would feel it re freezing again .

Its wonderful now as both shoulders froze in the last 5 years and i have been told it doesn't happen again from a doctor which i hope is true - i wonder why not .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 01:07 PM

I read that meditation can be an effective treatment for bad backs, it takes your mind away from the pain and onto something more calming.

Sorry to hear you are troubled with back pain
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I read that meditation can be an effective treatment for bad backs, it takes your mind away from the pain and onto something more calming.

Sorry to hear you are troubled with back pain

I think Meditation, done properly and regularly, can help with a lot of conditions, though I can't see how it can correct mis-alignment problems?
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think Meditation, done properly and regularly, can help with a lot of conditions, though I can't see how it can correct mis-alignment problems?
Put simply it cannot .
Muddy as you've been a horsewoman do you really think your lower spine and hips havn't suffered ? Result , arthritis .
Anyway you should ask for a blood test which will show up anything causing inflammation . Be brave one tiny prick of a needle is all ,you don't even have to see it !
If there' s no inflammation , it's possibly weakness in the muscles that's causing pain .The blood test will show up a low Vit D level and if so can be corrected .
I wouldn't pay good money out in case it's just as you said ,growing old these bodies of ours are not what they used to be and incidentally .....why are you falling asleep on the settee? No good for a bad back at all unless you have the comfort of a hot water bottle on it to relax the muscles . Better than any painkiller !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-09-2019, 02:06 PM

Muddy, I agree with Zuleiker about asking for an ESR blood test first, or even an x-ray. Then you will know what you're dealing with for sure.

The only problem I have with the inflammatory test is it shows what degree of inflammation there is, but not WHERE it is! Can be anywhere from top to toe, so in that way it may not be much help.

Also, the ESR can be higher just with age, but they should make allowances for this.

How you feeling now, anyway?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top