Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 01:22 PM

Windows 10 KB4524147 Cumulative Update Breaks the Start Menu

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...he-start-menu/

The KB4524147 Cumulative Update for Windows 10, version 1903 is causing the Windows Start menu to crash with a critical error according to numerous user reports.

KB4524147 was released yesterday as an out-of-band security update together with a standalone IE Cumulative Update and some monthly rollup updates, and it is designed to address a printing issue plaguing all supported Windows client and server versions.

The printing issues experienced by Windows customers were triggered by the September 23 Security Updates or IE Cumulative updates that patched the CVE-2019-1367 security vulnerability.

While Microsoft says that they are not currently aware of any issues with this update, users have been reporting having their start menus broken after installing KB4524147, as well as still experiencing issues while trying to print using several printer models.

Yesterday's updates released for all supported versions of Windows do not replace the ones that will come on October 8 as part of October's Patch Tuesday says Microsoft, updates that will most probably also fix the recently introduced Start menu issue and the re-introduced (not completely) fixed printing issue.
I've deferred updates ..... again .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 02:50 PM

Re: Windows 10 KB4524147 Cumulative Update Breaks the Start Menu

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...he-start-menu/

I've deferred updates ..... again .....
As have I. The last update knackered my internet connection by claiming that the Ethernet adapter wasn't working or that my cable between my PC and router wasn't plugged in. After temporarily trying a new cable (which didn't solve the problem), I ended up having to `delete` the Ethernet adapter, re-boot and let the PC detect and install the `new hardware` before I could get back on the net.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:13 PM

I am sick of updates I don't want any of them except security updates .

I had my PC on 'metered' but that somehow got turned off it is back on now and I am getting huffy messages from Windows saying they 'can't complete update '.

Hoping to make life even more difficult for them I have now turned the % of bandwidth allowed for updates right down see how they get on with that .
I have a very low speed here 2.5mbps on a good day and downloads make computer usage a nightmare.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am sick of updates I don't want any of them except security updates .

I had my PC on 'metered' but that somehow got turned off it is back on now and I am getting huffy messages from Windows saying they 'can't complete update '.

Hoping to make life even more difficult for them I have now turned the % of bandwidth allowed for updates right down see how they get on with that .
I have a very low speed here 2.5mbps on a good day and downloads make computer usage a nightmare.
You should be able to "pause" updates for 7 days at a time - this video shows you how - watch it all because the presenter provides a short summary at the end .....

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
You should be able to "pause" updates for 7 days at a time - this video shows you how - watch it all because the presenter provides a short summary at the end .....

Hi Omah yes I can pause for 7 days at a time but you can only do that for so long 35 days I think .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-10-2019, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Omah yes I can pause for 7 days at a time but you can only do that for so long 35 days I think .....
That's true .....

The facility has come in very useful over the last 35 days, though .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 05:11 PM

Maybe the reported problem only affects some. Personally, I have all updates installed (including KB4524147) and aren't experiencing difficulty with printing or the Start menu on a typical end-user computer.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 06:16 PM

I was updated yesterday with KB4524147 and no problems so far.....Start menu still operative....
If your computer is affected isn't it possible to delete the update (there is an option to do this) in the security section of the menu...?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-10-2019, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I was updated yesterday with KB4524147 and no problems so far.....Start menu still operative....
If your computer is affected isn't it possible to delete the update (there is an option to do this) in the security section of the menu...?
Yes, updates can be uninstalled nowadays .....

I uninstalled KB4512941, which affected my Start Menu .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 07:11 PM

I have just waited for 1 hour 50 minutes to restart my computer after the latest Windows Update.
I contacted Microsoft's help service and was told that "some Windows Updates are the equivalent of a new OS", to which I replied asking why then it isn't called Windows 11.
I already have an 'out of hours' setting for Windows Update, but made the mistake of clicking on the latest update 'offer', not knowing it would take so very long compared to previous updates. Never again!
I also asked the help service person whether it might be possible for Microsoft to state the projected update time in order than we may know whether or not an update of great length might be inconvenient at any specific time.

I, too, will now take all necessary precautions to prevent Windows Updates if they expect to continue to treat their paying customers in this way. Other companies would soon lose customers if they acted like this!

Fortunately, unlike others here, my computer seems not to have suffered unduly - I think! I haven't come across any problems yet, other than a couple of my Start menu items having disappeared. I'll have to try to find them now!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top