Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 11:47 PM

Re: I made my will

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mups, but it’s not ‘free’ if they ask you to leave them something. I know, you’re not obligated but you are rather under an obligation to do so.

I don't quite Art. You don't pay the solicitor a penny.

There are numerousl charities who support this scheme, and it is them who pay your bill for you at the solicitors.

I know with the November Will Aid scheme, you don't have to leave the charity anything, but if they have helped you I think it pretty mean not to pay them back - at least the solicitor's fees they forked out for.

If anyone chooses to leave them more, it is up to them of course, but if you haven't got the money at the time to pay solicitors fancy prices, the scheme could be very helpful for some, and they can return the kindness of the charity out of their estate at some point in the future.

I don't think they can force you to do this though.
Personally I would not take the money from the charity and not pay it back, would you?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 12:19 AM

we made ours many years ago when the first sprouts came on the scene, never changed it since then
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 12:55 AM

My present will was made many years ago by a solicitor I just update it when necessary using the old one as a template.
A will may need to be updated as your circumstances change .
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Depends .
Usually 50% will go to the children of the marriage /partnership .
If you have been married before have children from other relationships etc etc

There are rules of intestacy

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/fa...-of-intestacy/
You are right in a way BUT

My wife died and my daughter had no claim over her money because I was still alive.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I don't quite Art. You don't pay the solicitor a penny.

There are numerousl charities who support this scheme, and it is them who pay your bill for you at the solicitors.

I know with the November Will Aid scheme, you don't have to leave the charity anything, but if they have helped you I think it pretty mean not to pay them back - at least the solicitor's fees they forked out for.

If anyone chooses to leave them more, it is up to them of course, but if you haven't got the money at the time to pay solicitors fancy prices, the scheme could be very helpful for some, and they can return the kindness of the charity out of their estate at some point in the future.

I don't think they can force you to do this though.
Personally I would not take the money from the charity and not pay it back, would you?
During my manic phase which was thankfully quite short, I made 2 separate donations of £1k to my favourite cancer charity. Both the charity and the hospital were a bit concerned that I wasn't of sound mind yet they took my money and I was happy for them to do so. Better I give now, I thought, as I hadn't made my will yet.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top