Join for free
Reply
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Sweetie pie's Avatar
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Sweetie pie is offline
Dorset
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 27,000
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-03-2019, 12:22 AM
11

Re: Natural fur

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You are supposed to wear them on your hands, not on your nose.
Ha I chucked them out.
Reply With Quote
realspeed
Chatterbox
realspeed is offline
east sussex
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 8,222
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-03-2019, 12:22 AM
12

Re: Natural fur

Not if animals are just bred for their fur, and definately not endangered species. I can't really see the need as fake fur is so good now anyway
Reply With Quote
Bratti's Avatar
Bratti
Senior Member
Bratti is offline
Canada
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,790
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-03-2019, 12:22 AM
13

Re: Natural fur

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Fur coats look better on their natural owners - in my opinion. I would not want to own one. Yes, I know - we wear/use leather and sheep skin - but cattle and sheep are - supposedly - humanely kilied for food and their pelts are a by product that can be put to good use.

Fur used in the fashion industry comes, mainly, from animals which are killed in cruel ways - so as not to mark the pelts - and often from species in danger of extinction - tigers, sable, leopards etc.,
I fully agree.
Reply With Quote
Sweetie pie's Avatar
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Sweetie pie is offline
Dorset
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 27,000
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-03-2019, 12:24 AM
14

Re: Natural fur

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Not if animals are just bred for their fur, and definately not endangered species. I can't really see the need as fake fur is so good now anyway
It certainly is.
I have a fake silver fox fur coat
At least it smells nice, and no animals killed.
Reply With Quote
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is offline
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 21,608
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-03-2019, 12:40 AM
15

Re: Natural fur

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I can remember mother having a 'fox fur' - it included the mask, brush and paws - sort of wrapped around her shoulders. I hated it.

Rabbit - a bit ambiguous, I suppose, it is considered a food animal and - if you are going to kill/eat it - you may as well use the fur. I believe glove makers still use it in some places.

Fox and Raccoon - I know they are regarded as vermin by some and, maybe, need to be controlled but - if their fur became fashionable again - there is a danger they could become extinct or even 'farmed' and I would not like to see either of those options come to fruition.

Mink - are nasty vicious little devils that kill for fun and have caused havoc in farmlands here.

They are already intensively farmed in USA for the fashion industry - not sure about here. Their fat is used to waterproof leather, to make cosmetics and even put into some medicines. Some of their fur is used to make false eyelashes, and whatever is left is made into manure. So the justification is that nothing is wasted and they are killed humanely (?) by carbon monoxide poisoning.

I still would not want to wear them as a coat.
Thanks, ST.

How about cat fur?

Sorry, no. Joking!
Reply With Quote
Mups's Avatar
Mups
Chatterbox
Mups is offline
Northamptonshire
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 36,832
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-03-2019, 12:43 AM
16

Re: Natural fur

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I can understand why people wear them in places where temperatures are minus 30 and beyond. It's warmer than anything man made and necessary for survival. But it's not for fashion in normal cold weather. Thankfully it's no longer cool or trendy to wear fur.


Sadly, I think it is almost always worn for fashion in the Western world Annie. We are certainly not like the Inuits or primitive man who has little choice.

Mind you, I do not think many would dare to venture out in real fur nowadays, else I have read they get attacked!

Strange how people don't seem to feel it is so bad when other mammals, like sheep for example, are used for sheep skin coats and/or rugs though.

I read a while back about donkeys abroad being kept only for their skins. These poor animals are not even fed and watered half the time because it doesn't matter how frail and thin they are, it is only their skin wanted.

Even dogs are thrown (alive) in boiling vats of water in some countries, so their fur can be stripped off easily.
Reply With Quote
Mups's Avatar
Mups
Chatterbox
Mups is offline
Northamptonshire
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 36,832
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-03-2019, 12:47 AM
17

Re: Natural fur

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I can remember mother having a 'fox fur' - it included the mask, brush and paws - sort of wrapped around her shoulders. I hated it.

Rabbit - a bit ambiguous, I suppose, it is considered a food animal and - if you are going to kill/eat it - you may as well use the fur. I believe glove makers still use it in some places.

Fox and Raccoon - I know they are regarded as vermin by some and, maybe, need to be controlled but - if their fur became fashionable again - there is a danger they could become extinct or even 'farmed' and I would not like to see either of those options come to fruition.

Mink - are nasty vicious little devils that kill for fun and have caused havoc in farmlands here.

They are already intensively farmed in USA for the fashion industry - not sure about here. Their fat is used to waterproof leather, to make cosmetics and even put into some medicines. Some of their fur is used to make false eyelashes, and whatever is left is made into manure. So the justification is that nothing is wasted and they are killed humanely (?) by carbon monoxide poisoning.

I still would not want to wear them as a coat.


I remember seeing women wearing those as a kid too, Tabs.
Who on earth wants a dead fox, complete with head on, hanging round their necks!

Then again, perhaps it is not much different to those who kill those beautiful, majestic Stags, then hang their heads on their walls!
Reply With Quote
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is offline
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 21,608
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-03-2019, 12:56 AM
18

Re: Natural fur

Thanks, everyone, for your contributions.
Now it's time for me to come clean.

Over the past couple of weeks my ears have been dropping off with the freezing cold winds we've been having, so back in January I tried to find a Russian Ushanka hat for sale - they, of course, have fold-down flaps to cover the ears.

They are not as easy to find as you might expect, as I found out for myself. I eventually managed to find one in faux (why not call it false?) fur for 8 but, being cheapo, no sizes were offered and mine is too tight to wear for any length of time.

Later, whilst we were in Vienna, I managed to find another one - only one - in genuine wolf fur. That was priced at 355. After fainting, I apologised to the shopkeeper and said I couldn't afford it.

Eventually, I found a source in this country - locally, as it happens - which has a couple of styles in rabbit fur. It was brilliant, looked good and fit perfectly, and only cost 25, so...

...yes, I bought one. Sorry, animal lovers. I'm an animal lover too, I might add, but I wanted one so much I imagined a poor little rabbit that, presumably, been killed for its meat or perhaps met with an accident, or something. At least rabbits are not an endangered species, after all they tend to breed like rabbits. Just trying to salve my conscience, you understand.

A bit late for this last winter now, but ready for the next one.

OK. I now have my tin helmet on, so I'm prepared for the onslaught. Go easy, please.
Reply With Quote
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
AnnieS is offline
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 9,952
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-03-2019, 01:00 AM
19

Re: Natural fur

it's nothing to be ashamed of JBR but rabbit fur is not the best for keeping out cold. You need a muskrat trapper hat.
Reply With Quote
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is offline
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 21,608
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-03-2019, 01:30 AM
20

Re: Natural fur

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
it's nothing to be ashamed of JBR but rabbit fur is not the best for keeping out cold. You need a muskrat trapper hat.
Thanks Annie. Marge wasn't too happy about it, though!

Actually, they didn't do muskrat; only the other animals I mentioned in my first post. Still, it does feel very warm, especially with the ear flaps down and tied underneath the chin.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.