Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 09:47 PM

Re: Treacle and Golden Syrup

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I used to enjoy syrup sandwiches in my childhood days which were pre - "it's bad for you" days. I don't think I could face eating them again though.

The only time I use treacle nowadays is to add to the mix when I'm making Christmas cakes.

What I did like, again in my childhood years, was the big dessertspoon full of malt, that was really yummy! I was in hospital with pneumonia when I was three and I clearly remember a nurse giving me this huge spoonful of malt every day after breakfast for three weeks, it was lovely
Oh No! Mags. I hated that Virol malt stuff. My mother used to line us four children up, to give us a spoonful of cod iver oil first, then the orange juice, then the Virol. I hated it, so she used to pay me to take it.
It was a nice little earner!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 09:47 PM

As a child, syrup was in the cupboards for sponge puddings - yum

I remember mum going through a phase of eating a spoonful of black molasses every day, for her hair I think she said it was for. Is that the same as treacle?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 09:48 PM

I remember black treacle - used to adore that stuff....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 09:49 PM

I buy the Lyle’s Golden syrup in a plastic bottle now. It’s so much easier to use.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 09:50 PM

What was that stuff that used to be in a tin, not evaporated milk, but some very very stickly sweet thick runny milk type thing...that some folk put in their tea?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
What was that stuff that used to be in a tin, not evaporated milk, but some very very stickly sweet thick runny milk type thing...that some folk put in their tea?
Would that be condensed milk, Pesta?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Carnation Pesta..?....Yum Yum on strawberries....
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

14-03-2019, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Would that be condensed milk, Pesta?
That's the one! Thanks Mags

Vile stuff
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

14-03-2019, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Carnation Pesta..?....Yum Yum on strawberries....

Carnation was evaporated milk I think .

Mags just reminded, it was condensed milk
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Oh No! Mags. I hated that Virol malt stuff. My mother used to line us four children up, to give us a spoonful of cod iver oil first, then the orange juice, then the Virol. I hated it, so she used to pay me to take it.
It was a nice little earner!
Art that's so familiar with the cod liver oil and orange juice. Thankfully not the malt. But I'd have a whole tablespoon of cod liver oil eurgh! The fresh orange juice was nice though.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top