Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 03:32 PM

Re: Sugar overload

Cycling is great exercise, free to do, out in the fresh air rather than in a bacteria laden stinky gym. I would think that's the prime reason for your good metabolism which has kept you in shape. I'd like to cycle more but I don't live near enough to the country park where I would otherwise choose to go and whacking the bikes on the car each time is a royal pain TBH.

However when we next change cars I'm going to get a removable tow bar and one of those low bike rakes so I can simply lift the bike on and off quickly. I think cycling is one of THE best forms of exercise provided the bike is set up right.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Cycling is great exercise, free to do, out in the fresh air rather than in a bacteria laden stinky gym. I would think that's the prime reason for your good metabolism which has kept you in shape. I'd like to cycle more but I don't live near enough to the country park where I would otherwise choose to go and whacking the bikes on the car each time is a royal pain TBH.
I live right opposite 365 acres of parkland and there's a bike in the garage...no excuses!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 04:26 PM

However when we next change cars I'm going to get a removable tow bar and one of those low bike rakes so I can simply lift the bike on and off quickly. I think cycling is one of THE best forms of exercise provided the bike is set up right.
The gym I belong to is constantly being cleaned and kept neat and tidy. Don't generalise!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
The gym I belong to is constantly being cleaned and kept neat and tidy. Don't generalise!
Indeed I've cleaned local one many times when their cleaner is on holiday, it's spotless almost before I start. Many gym goers appear to clean as they go so they are not leaving germs for next user. I was most impressed.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Indeed I've cleaned local one many times when their cleaner is on holiday, it's spotless almost before I start. Many gym goers appear to clean as they go so they are not leaving germs for next user. I was most impressed.
I agree totally, Julie. They are much cleaner than cycle tracks
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 08:11 PM

They are much cleaner than cycle tracks
Just not true I'm afraid. On a cycle out in the fresh air you are on your own equipment, uncontaminated by hoards of other people. Better still it's totally free!

Gym hygiene is a known issue TBH. Here's a report from FitRated highlighting it. No generalisations here:

Examining Gym Cleanliness

https://www.fitrated.com/resources/e...m-cleanliness/

"it turns out the average treadmill, exercise bike, and free weight are all teeming with germs – more than 1 million per square inch apiece"

"All three types of equipment yielded gram-positive cocci (a common cause of skin infections and other illnesses); gram-negative rods (which can prompt many types of infections and sometimes resist antibiotics), and gram-positive rods (which can – but don’t often – cause various types of infections). The exercise bikes and free weight samples also turned up Bacillus – a potential cause of various conditions, including ear, eye, and respiratory infections."

"To put it in perspective, we compared the bacteria levels we found on various gym equipment with the number of germs typically found on everyday items. The average exercise bike harbors 39 times more bacteria than a cafeteria tray. Typical free weights have 362 times more germs than a toilet seat. And the treadmill you’re running on averages 74 times more bacteria than a typical public bathroom faucet."

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

Out in the fresh air, amongst Nature, cycling/exercising for free is the better way to go imho.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 08:13 PM

I agree totally, Julie. They are much cleaner than cycle tracks
I believe you!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

06-01-2019, 08:21 PM

An earlier study here by the NCBI

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4276630/

"As revealed by our study, a high degree of microbial diversity originating from inanimate surfaces of fitness centers may be alarmingly implicated to poor personnel hygiene of facility users as well as to the inadequate cleanliness of the facilities. To conclude, it is critical to underscore the need of proper hygienic practices in fitness centers and gyms for minimizing the spread of disease-causing organisms."

Here a graphic from that report comparing various gym equipment bacteria to those found on a toilet handle:

Again, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

06-01-2019, 08:22 PM

Nice avatar BTW Floydy.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so thanks for that.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-01-2019, 09:46 PM

An earlier study here by the NCBI

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4276630/

"As revealed by our study, a high degree of microbial diversity originating from inanimate surfaces of fitness centers may be alarmingly implicated to poor personnel hygiene of facility users as well as to the inadequate cleanliness of the facilities. To conclude, it is critical to underscore the need of proper hygienic practices in fitness centers and gyms for minimizing the spread of disease-causing organisms."

Here a graphic from that report comparing various gym equipment bacteria to those found on a toilet handle:

Again, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
There's more pollution in the sailing waters of the world.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top