Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
vivity
Perth Western Australia
vivity is female  vivity has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 09:43 AM

Funerals in UK

Fortunately I have just come onto this site which has the right people to answer my question, the British.

Being so far away in Aus from England we all dread the phone call in the middle of the night with the bad news.

My sister died on the 27th of August and I was stunned to hear the funeral, by cremation, is not to be until 16th of September - neither I or my other sister here can go back.

My question is - Is there normally such a long time lapse between death and funerals in England?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 09:48 AM

Re: Funerals in UK

I'm not 100% sure but if there is an inquest, that might hold things up. I don't think a couple of weeks is long - I suppose it depends on how backed up the various departments are.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 10:14 AM

Burials can take a few weeks but cremations are normally about a week, inquests will hold them up and if the body is left to science/medical use then the funeral may be delayed for quite a while or a remembrance service may he held in stead with a very private funeral later.
vivity
Perth Western Australia
vivity is female  vivity has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 10:27 AM

Thank-you Ben, it was expected and a relief that she was not suffering anymore. Just that most funerals take place here within the week and it is difficult to ask my nephew why or if it has been held up. Different countries different customs I guess.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 10:29 AM

Not THAT unusual, depends on how busy the crematorium is and the funeral arrangements. When George and Dragon died it was about 10 days - 2 weeks before we (the family) could arrange funerals.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 10:34 AM

It also depends how quickly the family want to do it too, we are always just wanting it over with so have had 3 day funerals in the past. You can pretty much if they aren't too busy chose what suits you.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 12:05 PM

It might be the family are delaying things to get as many of the nearest relatives there as possible, some may be away on holiday at this time of year. As others have said depends how many other cremations are taking place too, crematoriums tend to cover a wide area of the population.
Although 20 days is quite a long time, it is not unusual.

Sorry for the loss of your sister, and that you won't be able to attend the funeral
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 09:27 PM

It isn't unheard of for there to be such a delay between the death and funeral, however in my experience of death and the events thereafter (which is unfortunately rather extensive) I can say that the funeral usually takes place 5-10 days after death.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 09:51 AM

I had to arrange my Cousins funeral the other year. He died in hospital but we had to await the autopsy which delayed it for a while. Plus in the end they did say it was accidental. Had that not occurred I was told I could have waited up to 6 months before we got his body back all due to what the Coroner made the death to be by.
Sorry for your loss and such a shame you cannot get over to England for the funeral.
vivity
Perth Western Australia

06-09-2013, 12:01 AM

Thank you all for replying - will spend time with my sister here remembering, the day of the funeral.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top