Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 01:39 PM

Re: Moderate carbohydrate intake may be best for health?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I was asking because there is some evidence that following a gluten free diet can help type 1 diabetes. It can go hand in hand with coeliac.

They keep coming up with studies connecting certain diets to lifespan, but a lot of people who follow diets already have pre-existing conditions which can shorten life. It's difficult to strip out the confounding variables from such a study.
I agree , it is. I am sure the food we eat contributes to many health problems, but I often wonder if it is they way they keep it fresher, because nothing is just packed in paper bags these days. A bag of salad will stay fresh longer if you don't open it ... along with many other foods!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 10:21 PM

I was asking because there is some evidence that following a gluten free diet can help type 1 diabetes. It can go hand in hand with coeliac.

They keep coming up with studies connecting certain diets to lifespan, but a lot of people who follow diets already have pre-existing conditions which can shorten life. It's difficult to strip out the confounding variables from such a study.

Common denominator in that is carbs
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 03:34 PM

Generally high carb foods are healthy, all the root vegetables including potatoes, bananas,and bread if not too processed.
It is the additives that make it unhealthy, the fat and sugars added.
I think the recent report advised 50% carbs which is probably the average meal.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 05:15 PM

I'm a firm believer that we are meant to eat what grows from trees and the ground so I'll continue eating potatoes and my morning porridge.
John leave
Hertfordshire
John leave is male  John leave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 05:49 PM

You may have seen the news reports about this astonishing result of some research. Carbs are suddenly good and help you live longer. I am not convinced. Or at least I'd rather die younger due to reduced carbs than live with a long term condition due to a bad diet.

Of course there are good carbs and bad but most people seeing this headline will decide it's ok to have another slice or cake or another bag of chips.

What are your views?

"The researchers estimated that from age 50, the average life expectancy was an additional 33 years for those with moderate carbohydrate intake -- 4 years longer than those with very low carbohydrate consumption (29 years), and 1 year longer compared to those with high carbohydrate consumption (32 years). However, the authors highlight that since diets were only measured at the start of the trial and 6 years later, dietary patterns could change over 25 years, which might make the reported effect of carbohydrate consumption on lifespan less certain."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0817093812.htm
sorry but don`t believe in diets unless you call eating sensible 3 meals a day and excise i walk the dog every day, iv`e always drunk full fat milk eat the fat on bacon love my roast dinners never buy anything that says reduced on it, i`m now 70 i`m a full time carer i do all the cleaning cooking in a 3 bed house, i`m 6ft 1in 16 stone and fit never go to the doctors. i believe the only people that need to diet are greedy or lazy people.
John leave
Hertfordshire
John leave is male  John leave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I'm a firm believer that we are meant to eat what grows from trees and the ground so I'll continue eating potatoes and my morning porridge.
we are also carnivores and eat meat, so i will still eat my roasts
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by John leave ->
sorry but don`t believe in diets unless you call eating sensible 3 meals a day and excise i walk the dog every day, iv`e always drunk full fat milk eat the fat on bacon love my roast dinners never buy anything that says reduced on it, i`m now 70 i`m a full time carer i do all the cleaning cooking in a 3 bed house, i`m 6ft 1in 16 stone and fit never go to the doctors. i believe the only people that need to diet are greedy or lazy people.
I sometimes think we are what we eat, however, sometimes there are medical reasons someone may put on weight for example, prader willis syndrome, thyroid disease, steroid treatment, depression, metabolic dysfunction. Even certain medications can make one gain weight so they are taking a med to relieve one thing and causing another, namely weight gain.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

26-08-2018, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by John leave ->
we are also carnivores and eat meat, so i will still eat my roasts
aye but the thread was about carbs Personally I could live without meat, I only eat very little and then its only chicken breast, don't really consider myself much of a carnivore really.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top