Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 01:01 PM

Re: Wind Farms.

Originally Posted by Maddy ->
where i live we have a great deal because its mainly farms and growing fields ---they are really ugly on the landscape have to say -even worse looking out to sea with them 'what worries me is -- how many is enough -yes its good to have our own leccky from turbines -but surely there is a limit to this
Hi

Nope.

We need to live in the Real World.

Germany is producing so much that their Industries have free Electricity on certain days.

We cannot compete with that.

If you want to pay far more for Electricity and reduce your standard of living, so be it.

I do not.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We are now generating more and more of our electricity this way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43576226

OffShore wind is now cheaper than Nuclear,with none of the problems of disposing of the waste.

I am all in favour of it, it reduces our reliance on others.

What do you think?
I am all for them too. I actually like the things, I even wrote a poem about them some years ago.

The Wind Turbine Colossus

The wind turbine colossus,
Standing upright and high,
Majestic and dominant,
Reaching up to the sky.

Controversial but bold,
Environmental way forward,
Using the know-how of old.

Futuristic and strong
Providing wind power
For many years long.

RJG
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 12:48 AM

Aren't there some health risks?

My understanding is that they cannot generate sufficient electricity to justify the investment. We should invest in nuclear reactors.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 01:04 AM

There is a problem with them, a big problem. We have many of them here in Ontario and now the pile driving to install them has resulted in contaminated well water.

For rural areas without city water they need their wells and black sediment is working in due to the ground disturbance.

And a few months ago they had to close several down as one broke and toppled over due to high winds.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Aren't there some health risks?

My understanding is that they cannot generate sufficient electricity to justify the investment. We should invest in nuclear reactors.
Hi

No health risks.

They do generate enough to justify the investment.

Our new Nuclear Power Station, when it comes online, will generate very expensive electricity, far more than we are paying now, putting our industry at a disadvantage.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 08:50 AM

Northern Ireland now produces 25% of its electricity through onshore wind compared to 6% for the rest of the UK

I had to drive across the mountain yesterday and two new wind farms have gone up since I last went over that way. It was a really murky day and they were really quite spooky to see surrounded by the mist.

Always they remind me of the alien tripods from War of the Worlds
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

No health risks.

They do generate enough to justify the investment.

Our new Nuclear Power Station, when it comes online, will generate very expensive electricity, far more than we are paying now, putting our industry at a disadvantage.
The cost of the energy produced by the new Nuclear Power Station is determined by the nature of the contract agreed for its construction.

Had the UK funded and built the power station itself without Chinese money the cost of the electricity produced would be much less.

Nuclear power stations per se produce very cheap and very clean electricity.

Wind energy is in it's technological infancy and will become more and more advantageous as new technological innovations improve it's efficiency.

If they could find a way to prevent bird deaths it would be even better.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Brighton has its own off-shore wind farm:

http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2...-this-morning/
I visit Brighton/Eastbourne a lot.

But have never noticed them off shore.

Go down to Southend(Essex) and all along the East coast you see hundreds.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 06:45 PM

I'm with Swimfeeders here, as I so often find myself.

I actually really like the huge wind turbines and think their gentle turning is quite majestic. A part of this is likely my affinity for Nature and using nature's forces.

One of my hobbies (which I haven't done for a while) is dinghy sailing. There is simply something inherently wholesome and rewarding in allowing the force of nature, the wind, to propel you along the water, often at speed. It's something you either "get" or don't.

You can get from A to B with a sail, or using a diesel motor. I would want the former as often as possible.

Thus, harnessing the wind to turn the blades of a wind turbine has the same feel and satisfaction to me.
If I could have a turbine in my garden or on the roof of my house I would have one. I would absolutely love to have my electricity provided freely by the wind, no question.

I'm not entirely clear on the complete technical case for wind turbines and remember hearing that the overall wear and tear in parts and the maintenance required, can often produce costs that are no conducive to the overall aim.

A key problem we have is that all of this free eco energy is usually controlled by the government and they tend to set these "free" tariffs for them, like the "Feed In Tariffs" we saw for solar panels. All this does is make unscrupulous greedy companies flock to grab as much of the allotted space as they can purely to profit from those tariffs.

The next major event that is coming in this space is renewable heat, to which I have strong connections and am heavily invested. This is the area of drilling into the ground to take heat from there and using heat exchangers and heat pumps to generate your heat. This is going to take off massively very shortly and is set to become an actual service. i.e. The companies will sell you heat as a service like selling you electricity. They will install all the gear, and you will simply pay a monthly fee for the heat produced.
Watch this space !

All in all though we still have a situation where the real rulers of this world, still want to keep us controlled and want to keep generating their ridiculous profits from keeping us dependent on fossil fuels. Their lucrative position is compromised if we use free energy.

So ultimately we need to get governments to stop pandering to these moguls and ensure they are geared towards rolling out free energy for the proper reasons.

Finally, in terms of the wind turbines we see today, they are pretty much all the same, a high supporting pole structure with 3 propeller like blades. Whilst I like those I would quite like to see far more of the other type that you sometimes see, which are the vertical spiral type. Called Vertical Axis turbines which look like this:

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 08:07 PM

I wonder whether it might have occurred to those in charge that they might have been a little overhasty in shutting down all of our coal mines.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top