Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 04:10 PM

Security Light.

I am having one fitted tomorrow, do you have one?.and what type is it?..do they make you feel safer?...i already have cctv,it's going to be like Fort Knox here,lol.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 04:18 PM

Re: Security Light.

Whatever you need to make you feel safer Pauline, they work simple enough devices add in good locks and alarms to make you feel secure.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 04:19 PM

Yes indeed, at the back and the side of the house.

However, I feel that the seven lights (four on the walls and three along the path) we have at the front of the house are perhaps more important.

The back of the house is not easily accessible, but the front would be a burglar's first point of entry and these lights would make them much more visible to passers-by.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 04:23 PM

Yes I do have a Security light at the rear garden and it goes off a lot, and everytime the light comes on, I jump out of bed and look out of the window to find its just a neighbours cat walking through our garden.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Whatever you need to make you feel safer Pauline, they work simple enough devices add in good locks and alarms to make you feel secure.

Thank you Nom,i also have a six foot fence,and a gate with a good lock on it,..i live on my own,so i felt a good light,may deter some folk,who are intent on stealing from our gardens,..a lot of that going on here at the moment, my neighbour had her newly planted frontage,taken,from shrubs to flowers.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 06:03 PM

I had one at one time and it was very good but the housing association mad me take it down.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

30-05-2018, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I had one at one time and it was very good but the housing association mad me take it down.

Hello Purwell,how could they make you take it down?..for many of us,it's a necessity, falling in the dark,i nearly broke my neck the other night,misjudged the step,as it was dark,..did someone complain about your light?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Hello Purwell,how could they make you take it down?..for many of us,it's a necessity, falling in the dark,i nearly broke my neck the other night,misjudged the step,as it was dark,..did someone complain about your light?
No it was a jobsworth doing the 5 year inspection and testing said it did not conform. I could not be bothered to argue with him, I've got a better one to put up anyway!
It will be handy for finding my key when I come home from the late shift as now they have changed our street lamps to LED they don't throw any light backwards onto my path.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 06:22 PM

There is no vehicular access to my house from the front, it's all from the back where there's an access road and I have a drive on my property for the car.

I put a security light out there donkeys years ago, not really for security but more because when I was working I'd be leaving for work at 4.45am and in the winter it was dark. So having a motion activated light helped a lot.

I've also got fixed lighting that's on a timer, one light by the back door and one at the top of the garden, so I can see the path in the dark. I also recently put a fixed one in the shed in case I ever need to go up there in the dark.

The one draw back with the security light is it's fixed to a fence where there are climbers growing over so in the summer I need to keep those climbers under control as they trigger the damn light if I don't
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 06:37 PM

Lights alone are not the answer, burglars can pop them out with an air gun but along with cctv, locks and alarms they will make a good deterrent . Burglars want an easy life, the more barriers you put in place the better. The chances of you being burgled are pretty slim and in the plus side will help reduce your home insurance.
I have a 6’ wood fence at the rear of our property and along the top inside edge I have tacked wooden carpet grippers, anyone attempting to climb over ( like the little buggers raiding my pear tree) get a sharp pain in their hands.
The police don’t like people using razor wire

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top