Join for free
Page 3 of 50 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 02:47 PM

Re: Brexit and the EU

That won't work if it's in sterling, better buy gold.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by twizzle ->
That won't work if it's in sterling, better buy gold.
Euros?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 07:59 PM

And another 'nasty party' idea shot down in flames!!! - good 'ere innit???

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...s-says-barnier
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 12:09 AM

As I have said before we don't hear much about Brexit on a day to day basis but on the ABC news last night was a segment reporting that an EU person (Tusk? didn't catch the name properly) said that Britain needs to start having meaningful discussions with the EU because time was getting short.

The reporter said that May was hamstrung by a divided cabinet and a number of conservative MPs who wanted a 'hard' exit. She said that smooth exit from the EU was looking less and less likely.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
As I have said before we don't hear much about Brexit on a day to day basis but on the ABC news last night was a segment reporting that an EU person (Tusk? didn't catch the name properly) said that Britain needs to start having meaningful discussions with the EU because time was getting short.

The reporter said that May was hamstrung by a divided cabinet and a number of conservative MPs who wanted a 'hard' exit. She said that smooth exit from the EU was looking less and less likely.

Particularly since the scumbag 'nasty party' haven't got a clue amongst themselves what they want from Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8423061.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8422711.html
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

No desperation, just resolve.

Varadkar can get stuffed, if there is to be a Hard Border in NI it will be entirely down to him.

No more Common Travel Area, 500,000 Irish workers here in the UK needing Visas to work and remain here.

Time Critical Irish Exports ruined because of extra Transport Time going by sea around the UK instead of driving across.

The end of Irish Dublin Bay Prawns, Irish Mushroom Farms are already closing because of the £ Euro slump.

If the UK goes to WTO Rules, Irish Beef and Dairy will be wiped out.

Think before you post.
Varadkar is the head of an EU country and comes under its Customs Union arrangements.
It ants to stay there.
4 political groups have promised no hard border. The UK, NI. Ireland and the EU.
The only way there can be no border is of there is no customs union. That is patently obvious since borders are not quantum particles able to be in two states of being at the same time.
The EU has a customs wall around all its members. That is why it is a customs union. It exists by consensus. If all you can do is blame someone else for this mess then you have no argument.
Why are visas an issue? They are already necessary for non EU citizens and you have as many of those as EU citizens.
The largest trading partner of Ireland is the USA and goods are flown out. If they have to be flown out to the EU then fine. So what?

BTW I read the other day that Ireland is anticipating an economic boost as being the only English speaking country which is an entry point to the EU just as the UK did when it was a member. It would be easy to move business across the Irish Sea and stay in the EU. and given it does so much trade with the US, this could be a profitable growth area.

If the UK goes to WTO Rules, Irish Beef and Dairy will be wiped out

If the UK goes to WTO rules, ALL of its exports will suffer hugely.
Ireland will find new markets as the EU does more FTA's. Canada is all but signed. Japan is close and talks have started with Australia.
Where are your prospects???
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
Varadkar is the head of an EU country and comes under its Customs Union arrangements.
It ants to stay there.
4 political groups have promised no hard border. The UK, NI. Ireland and the EU.
The only way there can be no border is of there is no customs union. That is patently obvious since borders are not quantum particles able to be in two states of being at the same time.
The EU has a customs wall around all its members. That is why it is a customs union. It exists by consensus. If all you can do is blame someone else for this mess then you have no argument.
Why are visas an issue? They are already necessary for non EU citizens and you have as many of those as EU citizens.
The largest trading partner of Ireland is the USA and goods are flown out. If they have to be flown out to the EU then fine. So what?

BTW I read the other day that Ireland is anticipating an economic boost as being the only English speaking country which is an entry point to the EU just as the UK did when it was a member. It would be easy to move business across the Irish Sea and stay in the EU. and given it does so much trade with the US, this could be a profitable growth area.

If the UK goes to WTO Rules, Irish Beef and Dairy will be wiped out

If the UK goes to WTO rules, ALL of its exports will suffer hugely.
Ireland will find new markets as the EU does more FTA's. Canada is all but signed. Japan is close and talks have started with Australia.
Where are your prospects???
Hi

A lot of our exports are already done under WTO Rules.

Canadian and Australian beef is far cheaper than Irish Beef with our without a Free Trade Deal.

Transporting Dairy Products by air makes them uncompetitive price wise.

Shellfish have a very short transportation time if delivered alive, which is where the money is, frozen ones are far less profitable.

The UK have stated that we will not erect a Hard Border in Ireland, the EU says that is not possible, tough, their problem.

The UK has voted to leave, and leave we are doing.

Varadkar has a Veto on any Trade Agreement we come to with the EU.

He has threatened to us it, in fact his recent comments about the UK have been downright nasty.

His choice, if he vetoes things we retaliate, that is how the World operates.

He has made the point last week that the UK cannot win because the EU is bigger than the UK.

This type of nonsense works both ways, he should remember that.

The UK is much bigger than Ireland and we can use Non Tariff Barriers to seriously hurt Ireland.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We have chosen to Leave, our choice, our decision.

The EU is much bigger than we are, we are going to be a Third Country.

So what?

It was always going to hurt short term, we can live with that.

We are being played for Idiots by Ireland, Varadkar has a Veto and is playing us for Idiots.

I will not have a Nation of less than 5 Million dictating to us.

He can Swan Off, keep on doing it and we will destroy you and your Economy completely.

No more Common Travel Area, all Irish Citizens working here will need a Visa.

Any Border Control in Ireland will be your choice, not ours.

I despair of our Politicians, I really do.

He needs to be taught the facts of life and told to back off, if he does not, Ireland will be partitioned big time and it would all be down to him.

He would not survive the backlash.
Hi everyone. This is just my personal opinion of course, but what a pathetic figure Varadker is! Each time I witness him puffing his chest out in front of the media, with his continued veiled threats towards the UK, (such as “we are 27, you are but 1”) he reminds me of the strutting little runt posing confidently at the front of the school playground bullies, knowing full well that he feels invincible.

Although a tiny nation and our neighbour, he has chosen to stand against us,( no doubt due to internal pressures) and always eager to be the media luvvie “yes” man. Varadker is definitely not a steady hand at this time, Come back Enda Kenny?

I believe that as the EU clamours for more and more integration, Ireland is now left knowing they will be the only English speaking member once the UK has left. I also feel that Ireland and its citizens never believed that Brexit would ever happen. Hence the era of the golden Anglo-Irish relations now seems to be over. Ireland has chosen which side it wishes to be with,no doubt also believing that they somehow hold the post of being an important part of being in the EU, I’m afraid they are sadly deluded. They may well be playing a significant part in the EU’s present negotiations, but if the UK come away without a deal, let’s see just how important a part they continue to play whilst being part of the Brussels dictatorship. Lets also see how they fare with having to travel around UK waters instead of through them and how much help they will receive from their masters then.

I will also never forget that the UK taxpayers bailed them out when they were on their knees during the credit crisis in 2010 (3.2bn). To-date, I believe they haven’t even repaid the actual loan, just the interest. They have until 2021 to repay it in full. Interesting times ahead indeed.

Finally, I believe that If a trade deal is not forthcoming with the EU 27, Prime Minister Maybe may well stall the talks and go for WTO terms. I personally am under no illusion that this may hurt the UK, but by god, it will hurt Irish Agricultural imports even more, especially a border run under WTO rules,which will be very hard for Ireland.

Oh well, onward………………………….
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 07:08 PM

Jolly hockey sticks all round then?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 07:46 PM

It seems pretty odd to be doing something that everyone acknowledges will disadvantage everyone. I was talking to an American friend last night and he was saying how disastrous the trade war Trump and China are fighting will be for Western economies in general. Going for a hard brexit in the middle of a global trade war is madness.

Page 3 of 50 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top