Join for free
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 12:04 PM

Our wedding anniversary day out.

Yesterday was our 35th wedding anniversary, so we took the Money Pit out for a tour of the Somerset countryside.

A pit stop here for a most excellent lunch, with my Lovely Cousin having a good slurp in the shade. Toasted bacon and Zumerzet Brie sandridges went down a treat.

We were close to Brizzle airport where we could watch hairy planes land amongst the chimley pots.

After lunch we headed towards Wells and wandered around a reclamation yard. It's amazing what you can buy there.

The Cannon of Wells. I think the price tag was somewhere around the three grand mark. Anyway, it wouldn't fit in the boot so we didn't buy it.

Getting tanked up.

It's not November the fifth yet is it?

Well I'll be the son of a gun.

Something to crow about. Note it's height compared with the old street lamps.

The chap on the horse is thinking, that young lady must be very poor and can't afford clothes.

After this, we meandered around until we found an ice cream van at Chew Valley lake.

Bottoms up!

A family of gooses. Mum and dad in the lead and a gaggle of teenagers behind.

We then wound our way above the north shore of Chew Valley and Blagdon lakes.

Unusual trees in a barren land. Do you know what the obelisk was planted for?

It's a marker for the "line of works," the water pipeline from the Blagdon Lake Pumping Station to Bristol. Set on the top of a hill above the lake, it allowed surveyors to ensure the pipeline was dug in the correct direction since Bristol was "over the hill" and couldn't be seen.

Panoramic view looking down to Chew Valley Lake. Can you see the fisherman?

Well I'll take a boat out!

Blagdon Lake, showing low water levels. The farm on the far side on the right is where Yeo Valley yoghurt comes from. What a splendid tree in the foreground.

Re-hydration station, old style, near Nempnett Thrubwell.

It's not until the sun catches the windscreen that you realise how filthy it is. Eleanor is debating which way to lead us.

Luckily she decided not to take us down here.

Back near where we started, alongside the runway at Brizzle airport.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 12:21 PM

Re: Our wedding anniversary day out.

Looks like you had a memorable day out, Fruitcake. Thank you for sharing it and for the fabulous photos!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 12:27 PM

Fruitcake of a day.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 12:31 PM

My kind of day lots to do and remember ....
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 12:54 PM

looks like danger0us driving to me!! and dirty driving too! - but congratulations for living dangerously!!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 02:46 PM

Love it Fruity. I'm looking forward to my visit to Bristol. I will be flying from that Airport in March. Very tempting for me to make some naughty comments about a couple of pics.
But, you can imagine.
Thanks for sharing. X
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 03:15 PM

looks like a good day was had. Some great pics there. Glad you enjoyed your anniversary. Congratulations.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 10:29 AM

A brilliant day out, Fruitcake & thank you for sharing the photo's, they are super & I love the captions, they tell a story. I also like reclamation yards.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 06:14 PM

Lovely day out in my neck of the woods!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 02:27 AM

Happy Anniversary Fruitcake.
Great pictures. Looks like a good time

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top