Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 04:57 PM

Re: Aretha Franklin

She was the Queen of soul and one of my all time favourites.
Sad to hear of her passing RIP Aretha.

Use your remote eccles, that's what it's for.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 05:40 PM

Say a little prayer
orangutan2
Ireland
orangutan2 is female 

16-08-2018, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->

I'm not a fan of soul music, although I get that she was a good singer, but is this over the top stuff really necessary for someone who was just an entertainer at the end of the day? I just don't get all the superlatives and outpourings of sorrow and grief. It must be sad for her family and her fans, but surely no more than any other performer.
I agree with you eccles. This happens every time a well known entertainer/singer dies. It is sad to lose a great singer, but the wall to wall coverage of these deaths is way OTT in my opinion.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 05:59 PM

August is a wicked month, losing two musical greats on the same date.

Elvis the King of Rock And Roll and now Aretha Queen Of Soul.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 06:02 PM

Aww.RIP Aretha....I'm wondering how much weeping & wailing will occur when Cliff pops His clogs..We'll probably never hear the end of it
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 06:10 PM

OK, as nobody seems to have commented on her death - they've been reporting on it on BBC for about an hour now. I don't think if she had been royalty there could be more coverage.

I'm not a fan of soul music, although I get that she was a good singer, but is this over the top stuff really necessary for someone who was just an entertainer at the end of the day? I just don't get all the superlatives and outpourings of sorrow and grief. It must be sad for her family and her fans, but surely no more than any other performer.
I quite agree eccles, she was a great singer but the media will go completely overboard as they always do. I've just seen the 5 o'clock BBC news and had to switch it off after the first 15 minutes, it was so intense you would think Jesus Christ himself had died...
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 06:15 PM

Just an entertainer?
She earned 18 Grammy Awards and was the queen of soul.
She was a legend of her time.

R.I.P. Aretha

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bloo...ect-dies-at-76
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 06:19 PM

Knew you were waiting for me.
Described this as the song that 'does not grow old'.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 06:57 PM

She was the Queen of Soul

We say we have lost legends in the past, but Aretha surely can wear the title

She put soul into what she sang, and by gawd she could see

if you weren't touched by her voice, you really don't have a soul
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 07:04 PM

OK, as nobody seems to have commented on her death - they've been reporting on it on BBC for about an hour now. I don't think if she had been royalty there could be more coverage.

That's what I thought. I remarked to my grandson while I was taking him to get his new car that Aretha hasn't been heard of for donkey's years and as soon as she snuffs it, the radio is awash with her hits.

Don't get me wrong, I think she was a great singer but as you say, all these tributes are a bit over the top.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top