Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 06:15 AM

This could be for both sides to consider?

There are good ideas in this article that can be agreed with or refuted - that's what civil debate is all about?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...is-not-the-way
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 09:51 AM

Re: This could be for both sides to consider?

Hardly debate! Just another Blairite, neo-liberal pro-EU diatribe. The Labour Party under these people did nothing for working people while in government, why should we believe they would change anything next time.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 10:03 AM

Just more project fear from the champion of the snowflakes. There will be change that is what we want, and as far as im concerned that is just a beginning.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 10:16 AM

I stopped reading at 'The Guardian'.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 10:26 AM

Perhaps the person who wrote this should not assume why people voted to leave!

I was happy to join the Common Market, in the beginning, because the trade agreements were a good idea. Sadly I was young then and had no idea what it would lead to, but the changes have already led to us losing control of our own country, so we can't do many things without EU agreement.
It seems that the EU were always intending to make the EU one big country, but were doing it slowly so we didn't really notice.

If they had suggested that the Common Market, was going to become like the USA ( controlled by one government but with different laws & rules for each state) I would have never wanted to join in the first place.

I would hate to live in a huge country where one government make the majority of decisions for all, because if you look at the states you will find that there are ones where they feel the Gov do not provide fairly for each state....because the country is too big!

Hell isn't that why the EU are being so difficult about us leaving.......... because they don't want other members to consider doing the same!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 10:32 AM

The article maybe sensible but when we look at the membership of the Labour Party and their leader Corbyn who would vote Labour ?
The Tories made a huge mistake they thought everyone would vote remain now the country is left with this terrible mess.
There doesn't seem to be any solution .
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 10:46 AM

This could be for both sides to consider?
There are no sides just countless headless chickens.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
It seems that the EU were always intending to make the EU one big country, but were doing it slowly so we didn't really notice.
Some of us were well aware of the federalist plans of the architects of the EEC/EU which is certainly why I, personally voted against joining back in 1975. There was negligible immigration from Europe in those days, so that was not an issue. Young remainers might be surprised to realise that in those far-off days, many young people like me (at the time) travelled all over Europe with no problems. I even visited hardline communist state Albania in 1971 with few problems.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 11:35 AM

Personally I think Brexit has finished off what Thatcher started - the complete fragmentation of British social fabric to the point where socially Britain is almost a failed state.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Hardly debate! Just another Blairite, neo-liberal pro-EU diatribe. The Labour Party under these people did nothing for working people while in government, why should we believe they would change anything next time.
Exactly. How long were they in power for? Thirteen years and they did bugger all to alleviate poverty or tackle the north south divide. Tony Blair even lost the UK part of its rebate from the EU.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top