Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 02:50 PM

Witch Hunt

I watched Witch Hunt on channel 5 last night and found it fascinating and really scary ..it was a documentary about how the witch trials and hangings of 400yrs ago came about.
So many innocent people were tortured hanged and burned for being witches.
One child even spoke out against her own mother and named members of her own family as being witches ,the whole family were put to death .
It was scary how such a ludicrous idea could come into being and create an atmosphere of Witch Hunting...I cant wait till next weeks episode now.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 03:11 PM

Re: Witch Hunt

Yes it was very good and showed how anything said under torture is unreliable IMO
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 03:21 PM

Well that was a no nonsense and never mind if your squeamish programme. I know the story of the Pendle witches as it has been passed down to me from a branch of the family.

If you visit Pendle, witches are very much in evidence and the legacy lives on (commercially of course). It isn't long before you get caught up in the atmosphere of it and you can begin to understand very quickly how easy it was to condemn these women especially when the mist descends over Pendle Hill.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes it was very good and showed how anything said under torture is unreliable IMO
Absolutely Julie !
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

14-10-2015, 04:17 PM

It wasnt for the squeamish no Solo...certainly crude forms of torture back in those days
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I watched Witch Hunt on channel 5 last night and found it fascinating and really scary ..it was a documentary about how the witch trials and hangings of 400yrs ago came about.
One child even spoke out against her own mother and named members of her own family as being witches ,the whole family were put to death .
It was scary how such a ludicrous idea could come into being and create an atmosphere of Witch Hunting...I cant wait till next weeks episode now.
Didn't see the programme Aysa but I know about the witch trials and Pendle too, I used to live in Lancashire and knew that area very well.

That is superstition and religious fanaticism for you, people can get carried away by their 'beliefs'.
Not me thought, I don't have any beliefs in either ..
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 06:49 PM

Witchfinder General was all about this wasn't it Aysa? ☺
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

14-10-2015, 07:04 PM

Yes Doc its all about the Witchfinder General next week so im looking forward to seeing that episode
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->

I enjoyed it too, Aysa. Wasn't it dreadful what was done those poor women.
Looking forward to next week's last episode.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Well that was a no nonsense and never mind if your squeamish programme. I know the story of the Pendle witches as it has been passed down to me from a branch of the family.

If you visit Pendle, witches are very much in evidence and the legacy lives on (commercially of course). It isn't long before you get caught up in the atmosphere of it and you can begin to understand very quickly how easy it was to condemn these women especially when the mist descends over Pendle Hill.
Once - for a dare - I spent a Halloween night walking on Pendle Hill in the mist. It was a really eerie experience!
On a recent visit to Lancaster Castle I saw some of the instruments that were used to torture the 'witches' and the cell in which one or more of them were kept - not at all nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top