Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 05:30 PM

Re: failure to understand anger over Brexit

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Easilty fooled?
Nah, had their chance you mean and now the EU are proving it to be the right choice.
Admit it (like your German neighbours have); you wish you were us.
Wake up man!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Wake up man!
Insult Solly?
Are you riled or just in denial?

Here:

"Dear Britain: we envy you".
In Germany's most-read paper.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 06:42 PM

Wake up man!
Quoting a newspaper like "BILD" in Germany is ... how can I say it without humiliation ... not too clever to say the least.

Second if one cannot refrain from citing it, it would be wise to understand what it says ("we envy you for having more people with at least the first jab"). That is very far away from "we would be like you".

Third, it is what "BILD" claims and not the Germans.

I know you agree...
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Quoting a newspaper like "BILD" in Germany is ... how can I say it without humiliation ... not too clever to say the least.

Second if one cannot refrain from citing it, it would be wise to understand what it says ("we envy you for having more people with at least the first jab"). That is very far away from "we would be like you".

I know you agree...
Just as you know that Die Bild is the most widely-read paper in Germany Eh?

Ok, try this:

"A year ago I wanted to flee Britain for Germany – not any longer

My country got complacent last summer and has now lost control over the spread of the virus - Germany is no longer a safe haven"

"While Boris warned about the UK’s 4,000 intensive care beds being overwhelmed, Germany, with 28,000 ICU beds, had an enviable level of capacity. Barely two months into the lockdown, Great Britain had the most Covid deaths in Europe. Time and again I was asked by British friends how Germany had cracked it.

A year later, this picture has been reversed. My country got complacent last summer and has now lost control over the spread of the virus. The situation is made worse by mutations that have got a hold on the continent. Germany is no longer a safe haven and it is the British who are getting the pandemic under control.

I am worried about my mum who, at the age of 76, has not even had an invite for a vaccination. The number of new infections at the weekend in Germany was almost three times as high as in the UK. More than 27 million people in Britain, more than 50 per cent of the adult population, have had their first vaccine - including myself."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/li...ny-not-longer/
Can't read it?
Don't care.
Use the free trial or take what I posted as a guide.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 07:46 PM

I know you agree...
I remember when some years ago in the netherlands the newspapers changed their format to that of british ones. Panic all around. People were afraid that going to tabloid format would degenerate the newspaper to british levels.
We still have an independent press that controls the government actions. Fortunately the size of the paper is printed on.

Bild can be described as a german tabloid, but in british perceptions there is no difference between a newspaper and tabloid.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 07:58 PM

I remember when some years ago in the netherlands the newspapers changed their format to that of british ones. Panic all around. People were afraid that going to tabloid format would degenerate the newspaper to british levels.
We still have an independent press that controls the government actions. Fortunately the size of the paper is printed on.

Bild can be described as a german tabloid, but in british perceptions there is no difference between a newspaper and tabloid.
Interesting... I did not know that about papers in NL.
If the "statista" figures are correct, then BILD sells 1.2mio copies daily.
Followed by "Süddeutsche Zeitung" (320.000) and "Frankfurter Allgemeine" (200.000), both very respectable newspapers.
From what I know, BILD is bought by e. g. workers who look at it in their breakfast or lunch break. Long ago some told me they would not really "read" it, just scanning it. And elderly people often buy it, that is at least my experience.

However in Germany nobody in their right mind would refer to BILDs content in a discussion. It is everybodies knowledge here that BILDs content is fake and fantasy.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

13-04-2021, 08:06 PM

Interesting... I did not know that about papers in NL.
If the "statista" figures are correct, then BILD sells 1.2mio copies daily.
Followed by "Süddeutsche Zeitung" (320.000) and "Frankfurter Allgemeine" (200.000), both very respectable newspapers.
From what I know, BILD is bought by e. g. workers who look at it in their breakfast or lunch break. Long ago some told me they would not really "read" it, just scanning it. And elderly people often buy it, that is at least my experience.

However in Germany nobody in their right mind would refer to BILDs content in a discussion. It is everybodies knowledge here that BILDs content is fake and fantasy.
Like the sun and express?
Part of the shyness to confessing reading Bild is because they print scarcely clad women. Which reminds me of this:

The*Daily Mirror*is read by people who think they run the country;*The Guardian*is read by people who think they ought to run the country;*The Times*is read by the people who actually do run the country; the*Daily Mail*is read by the wives of the people who run the country; the*Financial Times*is read by people who own the country; the*Morning Star*is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country, and the*Daily Telegraph*is read by people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read*The Sun?

Bernard:*Sun*readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.
Germany

13-04-2021, 08:18 PM

Like the sun and express?
Part of the shyness to confessing reading Bild is because they print scarcely clad women. Which reminds me of this:

The*Daily Mirror*is read by people who think they run the country;*The Guardian*is read by people who think they ought to run the country;*The Times*is read by the people who actually do run the country; the*Daily Mail*is read by the wives of the people who run the country; the*Financial Times*is read by people who own the country; the*Morning Star*is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country, and the*Daily Telegraph*is read by people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read*The Sun?

Bernard:*Sun*readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.

Very good...
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 08:30 PM

I know you agree...

Wanted to check this out so I mentioned to my wife someone was citing a headline in BILD to support an argument and she just laughed and said “ none too bright then”
Germany

13-04-2021, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Wanted to check this out so I mentioned to my wife someone was citing a headline in BILD to support an argument and she just laughed and said “ none too bright then”
Cool, thank you for substantiating my claim

Your wife knows BILD?

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top