Join for free
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 11:55 AM

Re: Are People Who Get On In Life To Be Decried ?

Alan

Those that get off their backsides to better themselves should have a pat on the back. Vaguely same lines as myself, had nothing- worked hard -went to college on day and 2 nights a week to get an ONC certificate. Step by step things improved to running our own business. Now retired not well off but comfortable.

It is the lazy ones who don't make an effort that complain and want everything given to them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I was orphaned at age 15, no family, no state handouts.
I had to leave school and find work in order to survive.
After living on practically nothing after I had paid for my accommodation, I clawed my way through life and eventually earned enough to continue my education at night school. I then was able to continue my training at an aerospace company and became a development engineer on future aircraft projects.....hard work and initiative is always open to everyone Julie, no luck required !
I think Alan says it better than I could.

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
It goes without saying that luck comes into it. Would Bill Gates have become a billionaire if he had been born 50 years earlier - I doubt it.
Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Alan

Those that get off their backsides to better themselves should have a pat on the back. Vaguely same lines as myself, had nothing- worked hard -went to college on day and 2 nights a week to get an ONC certificate. Step by step things improved to running our own business. Now retired not well off but comfortable.

It is the lazy ones who don't make an effort that complain and want everything given to them.
Yep those who work 60 odd hours a week and get very little for it are so lazy I can see that now.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 12:09 PM

I was orphaned at age 15, no family, no state handouts.
Guess I was just lucky then Julie, I didn't miss my parents one bit !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 12:20 PM

Guess I was just lucky then Julie, I didn't miss my parents one bit !
I looked after mine until they died, did the same for my grandparents, and took in children from my sisters - still looking after my late nieces girl. Make the most of life and consider myself lucky I had the experiences I did but the money was never going to come from any of that.

We are lucky now had a small inheritance but it's interesting it was sheer luck my MIL was able to leave anything as she inherited the house and from a £3000 house in the early 60s when she died we sold the land alone for £260,000 - I am not saying she didn't work because she did but it was luck her house grew in value like that.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

Yep those who work 60 odd hours a week and get very little for it are so lazy I can see that now.
Not lazy by any means, just lacking in either the opportunity or the initiative to change things for the better.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 12:35 PM

The reward is all yours, Alan. You climbed the ladder of personal success and thats what matters. You can't really live to please others, because that is a fruitless venture. Stay focus then on yourself and your family, because that is our mission in life. Unless of course, one Iis a true philanthropist and that is a different story
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 12:37 PM

Doing good for yourself and family is to be applauded.I worked my way up but I also had help.I realized early a person can learn from everyone they meet.Good and bad,with me I never wanted to let anyone down.I was their eyes and ears,I had alot put on me at an early age,school away from family,that was a struggle.I just kept telling myself "all this will be over soon"and plodded on.It's all you can do,hope for better,and make it happen.That may be why now,it's a big deal if you make it one, the attitude I have now,everything can be fixed.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 12:37 PM

Yes, of course! I admire anyone who works hard and achieves.
My ex partner, fed up with selling chemicals to farmers decided to start his own business. He started with nothing and built up a few businesses that gave employment to many and his customers were mostly blue chip companies. To start with, he did without so as to keep money in the companies as a back up. He was also an inventor and invented a humane mouse box that are still on sale in many DIY stores in the UK. He was always getting offers for him to sell his companies as they were so successful!
At 50 yrs old and by now a true entrepreneur, he sold his companies, became a multi millionaire, was able to retire and enjoy the fruits of his success. He said his success was only achieved by him having PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) and believing that one day it would all come good.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

No point in just working 60 hours a week and have no ambition to improve ones self to make life easier.
As for working 60 hours a week try running and owning a boarding kennels for long hours 7 days a week, make 60 hours a cakewalk
Oh and by the way as an apprentice We did a 5 day 60 hour week and I was only 15yrs old coming on 16 at the time.

So please do not start preaching about long hours worked
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 01:04 PM

I think that we do not celebrate or reward success sufficiently in this country.
Too often I perceive the attitude of "It's all right for them, they've got money / were lucky / born with a 'silver spoon' etc...".

I think that the posts here demonstrate that with the will to succeed and the ability to grasp opportunities, people can be "lucky". Good for them.

Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top