Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2009, 12:41 PM

A Hereafter

Several folk wrote of their unease at post-mortem organ donation because they wanted all their bits for the hereafter and a touching story was posted yesterday which hinted at reunion with loved ones 'in the next world'.

What do you think? "Is this all there is", as the song goes, or is this just a practice for something better? Or, if we're really wicked, might there be something less pleasant?
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2009, 01:06 PM

Re: A Hereafter

I have thought that this is all there is but after reading Margaret Atwood's The Penelopiad some time ago I began to wonder whether you get what you believe in! I thought that that idea sort of gave everyone their just desserts - and sort of satisfied all the questions. I am not saying that is absolutely what I believe in because, as my signature says, I am sure of nothing!
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2009, 01:14 PM

I deleted the story I posted yesterday because although people were reading it no one commented. This made me wonder whether the subject was appropriate or was it just making folk uncomfortable.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2009, 01:16 PM

I started reading it VM, but didn't finish it because of my own time constraints. I would have liked to have finished reading it. Sometimes people may read and not reply for all sorts of reasons. IMO you should reinstate your post.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2009, 02:29 PM

I didn't get to read it - don't think I was on (or posting) at the time.

Re topic - I think this is all there is. Long ago people needed to take comfort in things so I can see why people believed what they did - there were too many unknowns and it's human nature to want an explanation. Now we know a lot more (but still not enough).
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2009, 02:55 PM

I still have mixed feelings but I have reposted the short story on the "The Coma" thread.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2009, 04:47 PM

I think we have an almost instinctive need to believe that there is something after we die, and that this isn't all there is. I hope there is, but we'll never know, will we?
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth

14-08-2009, 06:05 PM

May favourite and most comforting theory is does the caterpillar know it will become a chrysalis and does the chrysalis know it will become a butterfly?
Maybe, just maybe, this is our caterpillar stage.
Yola
Yola is female  Yola has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2009, 08:28 PM

Brought up a Catholic I'm 'meant' to feel guilty for living . . . but I now believe that when you die that is it. I would love to see my Dad - to whom I was very close, again. However I'm fairly certain that won't happen. I would be happy to have any/all organs given to those who will benefit from them once I no longer have a use for them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
What do you think? "Is this all there is", as the song goes, or is this just a practice for something better? Or, if we're really wicked, might there be something less pleasant?
Yes , I believe this is all there is.

Let's look at the alternatives, going on to another place to join the people who have already left , I hope not . Imagine your partner dies and you marry again, eventually you all die and go together to the same place to be a three some for all time .

I suppose some would say you won't know anyone when you get there, all is forgotten . I really don't want to take my rapidly wearing out body anywhere to start again .

Perhaps we start again from scratch in which case we could already be on our third or fourth body

Would I want to live 'in heaven' where everything is perfect, I think not.
In order to know joy one must have experienced sadness, it is the contrast between the two which makes us aware we are experiencing one or the other.

I think life is like one big game of snakes and ladders, some people only manage to travel a short distance before being sent to the bottom of the board, some get half way, a few reach the top . But for everyone the game is eventually over and we are no more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top