Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 04:47 PM

Re: Tea Or Dinner?

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
It very much depends on what sort of meal it is Angel darlin'. I tend to eat my main meal (dinner) at lunch time, so in the evening when I eat a plate of sarnies and biscuits or cake, that is my 'tea'. However, if I were to go out to a restaurant in the evening, then yes I would be going to 'dinner'. Confusing innit ???
Yes, UJ. I suppose, you’re right in that a cup of tea, sandwiches and a piece of cake, are tea but a plate of meat and veg is dinner!

Sorry, about going off topic but my daughter’s boyfriend who lives in Brighton sent me some maple bacon from Dave Ovett’s butchers in Brighton|Hove and it was the best l have ever tasted!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
It very much depends on what sort of meal it is Angel darlin'. I tend to eat my main meal (dinner) at lunch time, so in the evening when I eat a plate of sarnies and biscuits or cake, that is my 'tea'. However, if I were to go out to a restaurant in the evening, then yes I would be going to 'dinner'. Confusing innit ???
That's interesting actually Joe as you're a Southerner. So maybe it's not a Northern thing after all to call it dinner when it's the evening?

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Dinner - Midday meal
Tea - Early evening meal
Supper - Late evening meal
Absolutely!

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Floydy, It’s not about being posh. It’s regional, I’m sure?
I think you’re only posh, if you crook your little finger, whilst you drink your tea from a fine china teacup.
If you’re not, you slurp it from the saucer!
Haha! Yes Art, the Pimms and crepes brigade as they play croquet after luncheon
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 04:50 PM

I don't use the word dinner at all. Maybe if I was going to a high class restaurant I would call it dinner.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 04:59 PM

My parents used to call it supper, but I'd say dinner is the evening meal. If someone invites you to a meal that they cook at their house they don't call it a tea party. That is afternoon tea, although not sure anyone does that these days.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
My parents used to call it supper, but I'd say dinner is the evening meal. If someone invites you to a meal that they cook at their house they don't call it a tea party. That is afternoon tea, although not sure anyone does that these days.
Not here isn't Annie.
We're either "going round to whoever's" for dinner or for tea at midday and early evening respectively.

Supper is late at night before bed and a tea party is something organised by chimpanzees
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 05:35 PM

I call the evening meal dinner too - except on a Sunday when we've been out to lunch - then the sandwiches & cake we have around 6 -7. 0'clock is called tea!!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

24-03-2019, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I call the evening meal dinner too - except on a Sunday when we've been out to lunch - then the sandwiches & cake we have around 6 -7. 0'clock is called tea!!
Yes, lunch is the same as dinner. Midday.

At night on rare occasions I visit a restaurant, it's "going out for a meal".
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 05:52 PM

Evening meal out is dinner, evening meal in is supper.

Tea is a drink made from the dried leaves of a plant called tea that comes from India, or maybe China. Ms d00d makes "tea" from any old rubbish including slices of root ginger, nettles and cinnamon sticks. I'd rather have a beer.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

24-03-2019, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Evening meal out is dinner, evening meal in is supper.

Tea is a drink made from the dried leaves of a plant called tea that comes from India, or maybe China. Ms d00d makes "tea" from any old rubbish including slices of root ginger, nettles and cinnamon sticks. I'd rather have a beer.
I'd rather have a beer too, d00d. That stuff sounds horrible!

What time is your evening meal, 10 o'clock at night?! How can it be supper at 5-6pm? Unless you go to bed early!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 06:09 PM

Beer and crumpets (or toast & marmite) at 5.00ish

Supper at 6.30ish ... best time of the day, we both sit, relax, talk to one another, finish with cheese & wine.

Bed at 10.00ish

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top