Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:09 PM

Do you feel safe?

I was wondering how many members of the forum feel safe in their house, their neighbourhood and doing their day to day activities in the outside world.

I have been feeling a growing sense of menace due to publicity of a lack of policing and an increase in those turning to crime as a lifestyle choice. But is this in proportion to reality?

As we get older do we simply become more aware of our own frailty or is society getting more dangerous?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:16 PM

Re: Do you feel safe?

I feel safer than several decades ago, but, not much has changed out there accept, a geezer of this age was never on the radar, back then, but, it never pays to become complacent.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:18 PM

I feel safe in my house, in the neighbourhood & when I go out anywhere. I don't go out alone at night now though, not because I don't feel safe, just because I don't need to.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:36 PM

I feel uneasy if I'm in the house on my own. I keep the doors locked and if there's a knock on the door I don't answer it unless I know who it is.

I think this nervousness stems from when we were burgled a few years ago.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:40 PM

I feel safe though I live not far from a town with a surprisingly high murder rate but I admit that I look out of the window at the slightest odd noise. If I lived in the East end of London I probably wouldn't venture out at night.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:48 PM

I feel safe enough in my own neighbourhood - both in and out of doors. Am extra cautious when travelling though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:49 PM

I occasionally feel a tad jittery at home, moreso after dark, I don't really know why, it just happens.
The dogs hear a pin drop at night and would alert me, though I would still feel a lot safer if I still had my old GSD's. They were very quiet, but always vigilant and would never have let any harm come to me.
I try not to dwell on it though, and it soon passes.

I rarely go ut at night any more, and if I do, I take my phone, and lock my car doors while I'm driving.

One more thing, in the next town there is a big multi storey car park.
The lifts there always give me the willies because they are so dingy and poorly lit. When I am alone there, I am very aware of who gets in with me.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 12:47 AM

I feel very safe although I live alone. I wouldn't feel so safe if I lived in a town.
Every night I walk about a mile in the dark with Chloe down a lane past the churchyard, I don't feel at all scared.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 12:55 AM

strange as at the kennels, although in the middle of open land ,more or less, we we as safe as anywhere. Why? because we rescued a Gipsy horse that was running loose as its chain was cut. It belonged to a lad in the local static camp near to us. So we kept it ( damn great stallion cart horse type) until claimed in our top field.

The lad said we would never have any problems from their site and if we did from anyone else they would sort it!!!

Far better protection than the local police force miles away.

Where we are now is a very low crime area with great neighbours, we even have a policeman and his family living next door but one. He is in the dog section so his police estate car is on the drive when off duty
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 03:07 AM

I have not felt uneasy about my home or neighborhood since moving back to a small village in New York from Tampa, FL in the '70s. Two months after the move, it was discovered a serial killer buried a girl in our back acre in Florida!

I have never been afraid of much, and have lived alone for the last ten years. I run toward the danger rather than cower, its better to confront the fear and take action. Also, having worked for law enforcement, I have immediate back up should I need it. It's a comfort.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top