Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 08:36 AM

Taxi drivers who only take cash

Yesterday I went up to the first taxi in the taxi rank outside the Out Patients Dept. of the hospital. I had the sense to ask him whether he had a card reader - he didn't so I got into the taxi behind him (there were only two).

I've got into taxis before where the driver only took cash and it's normally OK as there is an atm in the shop below me. If I phone for a taxi I always use the same firm as they all have readers and are quite modern with sliding doors. This is quite a boon to me as sometimes if I'm getting in and out of a taxi with two heavy bags I can find it difficult. I don't have to touch the door.

The taxi driver yesterday said that those who refused to take cards were dinosaurs as apparently nowadays it doesn't cost them any fees beyond the initial reader. Many drivers have readers set up to their smartphone which will take the fare by contactless.

What do you think about taxi drivers who only take cash?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 08:45 AM

Re: Taxi drivers who only take cash

Dealing solely in cash will be the saviour of this country, post Brexit.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 08:53 AM

Taking only cash makes fiddling tax so much easier.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Taking only cash makes fiddling tax so much easier.

Exactly, we need to encourage more entrepreneurs.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 09:11 AM

I think it is up to the taxi driver, on how he is happy to be paid. After all it is his business and surely it is the customers responsibility to ask what means of payment is available.

My local taxi company, that I used a lot when my car died at Christmas, will only accept cash, or cheques if the person has no cash. His clients are mainly people going on short trips or to the airport ( so know what it will cost). He is an old style taxi driver, who helps the elderly to take their luggage to the door, and I would always prefer to use him that the bigger businesses that have all the modern means of payment in their cars!

We are all different!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 09:15 AM

When I left hospital, the taxi driver took all my bags right upstairs to my door. I had paid by card but I gave him £1.50 as a tip he was so kind.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
When I left hospital, the taxi driver took all my bags right upstairs to my door. I had paid by card but I gave him £1.50 as a tip he was so kind.
A very nice man, but I think he would have done that even if you had paid in cash too. Problem is you can't choose your taxi driver!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

28-03-2019, 09:26 AM

Yesterday I asked the driver how the other drivers who only took cash managed to make a living, and he said that increasingly they weren't - they missed out on fares every day, like yesterday despite being in the front of the queue. Even elderly people are less likely to carry cash these days.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 09:42 AM

Living in the outback of Western Australia, I still pay taxi drivers with goods, like a chicken and two eggs to get to town. But from next Monday the fare will go up to four eggs, I'm told. A bit steep I reckon, inflation is much lower than that. About a quarter egg. They rip you off where ever they can.
What's this world coming to?
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 09:48 AM

Sounds a bit like here Ploppy, it cost me a bucket of rhubarb and a lettuce to borrow my neighbours mobile trestle to trim my hedge!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top