Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 02:58 PM

Re: The work ethic – hard work pays or not?

Answering your original question, yes, hard work pays off.
Each job I took, I gave them the full hours of my time to their benefit, and didn't goof off or waste time on my personal business.
When an opportunity came up for advancement, a pay grade boost, or even changing careers when I felt there wasn't more I could learn at my present job, I took a chance, applied and got the job. Hopefully, my job references spoke of my abilities, and incentive to prove myself an asset to the company. I can also add that each career made me proud of my accomplishments, gave me satisfaction at the end of the day I did well. If ever I didn't feel self fulfilled, I moved on.

You must work for you first. Those workdays are what makes up most of your life. Time well spent.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 02:59 PM

I have worked hard for years,and still do,I am single so have to support myself,I am one of the lucky ones,I own my own small house,no mortgage or rent to pay,..I have been in a similar position to you Julie,when I was a lot younger,good on you for doing what you can!...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That must be hard Jazzi it's something I fear, one of us being left to manage after the other is gone, It's an unenviable position and TBH if people all had to live in some of these situations I am not sure they'd be quite so quick to complain that others get benefit when they don't. It's an odd world these days with people being envious of those who have less than them.

If I am mistaken then I will apologise in advance Julie, but if you were thinking of my post when you replied to Jazzi, then you are mistaken. I am not complaining and I am not envious of anybody, least of all those who have less than me and struggle. Look back at the title of this thread - "The work ethic - hard work pays or not" and then what you said in your post. I took your reply to the thread at face value. Do not attempt to fudge or divert the issue of the original thread, which is what I think you are now trying to do.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
If I am mistaken then I will apologise in advance Julie, but if you were thinking of my post when you replied to Jazzi, then you are mistaken. I am not complaining and I am not envious of anybody, least of all those who have less than me and struggle. Look back at the title of this thread - "The work ethic - hard work pays or not" and then what you said in your post. I took your reply to the thread at face value. Do not attempt to fudge or divert the issue of the original thread, which is what I think you are now trying to do.
I was talking generally it's very common these days to complain about people who can't work or have to take benefits. You queried my post publically I answered. Simple as that. As for fudging and diverting that only happens when bits of posts are questioned openly and the thread takes another angle. Possibly my fault for being polite and answering so sorry if it's gone off topic a bit.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 03:57 PM

Fair enough Julie and thank you for replying.

In answer to the original post "The work ethic - hard work pays or not"

Yes, I do think hard work pays and I believe it is important to have a good work ethic. This was instilled into me as a child and in turn I passed it on to my children. Granted you do need a bit of luck and be able to apply your knowledge gained and intelligence into making a go of things. I was taught to take calculated risks and decisions, supported by a contingency plan, work hard and apply myself to whatever I was doing and hope for a fair wind to carry things along. I have been fortunate enough to have had the help and guidance of two loving parents, who wanted me to be secure - something I don't think they themselves ever really felt. At the time I did not appreciate what they were doing when they made me "get down to it" but I do now. I also think I have had my fair share of good luck and been able to turn around the negative things which inevitably happen as you go through life. I was not born into wealth and for all my hard work I am not a wealthy person - just secure in my old age (at the moment). Nobody was going to make me rich or even secure unless I worked and did it for myself. To make a better life my parents had to make sacrifices and move with the work - and they worked hard (both of them) for as long as I can remember. They also knew the sense of limiting their family according to the income. You could say I have benefitted from their attitude and I have come to realise that very little comes easy in this world for the vast majority of people. You have to get up off your bum and go get it, unless you win the lottery or get away with robbing a bank.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 04:14 PM

The trouble is you can work just as hard, just as many hours and still not make enough to get by on these days. NMW is maximum for many jobs. I think it's important to find something you enjoy doing because that may be the only joy you get out of work as the remuneration is fixed and too little to really live on.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

28-03-2019, 04:39 PM

The trouble is you can work just as hard, just as many hours and still not make enough to get by on these days. NMW is maximum for many jobs. I think it's important to find something you enjoy doing because that may be the only joy you get out of work as the remuneration is fixed and too little to really live on.

Don't you think it was ever thus, Julie. Employers have historically usually paid as little as they can. When you look back into history and how a huge portion of the people lived, even just as far back as Victorian days - that, I think, was poverty in the real sense. We (the ordinary folks) are hugely better off these days. We have safety nets. As I am sure you know there are still countries where people struggle and die because of poverty.
I agree, it is important to find something a person enjoys doing, but it is not the prime goal. The prime goal, IMO, must be putting a roof over your head and food onto the table under your own steam. I don't think coal miners enjoyed going down the mines every day, but they did it and it was not badly paid. Not that I would want to see those days return, but it certainly caused a lot of problems when the mines went. Hard as it was (and still is) I think the miners would rather have had their jobs than the joy and low pay of something else.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 04:47 PM

That must be hard Jazzi it's something I fear, one of us being left to manage after the other is gone, It's an unenviable position and TBH if people all had to live in some of these situations I am not sure they'd be quite so quick to complain that others get benefit when they don't. It's an odd world these days with people being envious of those who have less than them.
I've found it tough living on my own with cancer, but was perfectly happy when my health was good. We all get into routines whether good or bad and I find it hard to adapt to change. And my illness has wrought huge changes on me. To survive cancer, think it was cured, then to get the original cancer back plus a new one was tough. Financially, I've been OK, I'm lucky that way but even I get the lower rate of PIP and it is spent on what it is intended for - taxis so I can get around when otherwise I wouldn't be able to.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 04:55 PM

Having worked hard since I was 16 , I’ve come to realise one thing.....it’s a mugs game...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Having worked hard since I was 16 , I’ve come to realise one thing.....it’s a mugs game...
You probably are just considering the being deprived of free time side of it. What about meeting folks with an array of backgrounds and opinions, and, developing yourself based on what you encounter. There is a lady across the road who has never needed to work because she has been supported by her husband for decades. she has managed to fall out with just about everyone in the street and, owns a Cornish Holiday Home, she has managed to fall out with the neighbours there as well. I think this ability is due to the lack of structure, and interaction with workmates, you can't put a price on those attributes.Imo

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top