Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 01:18 AM

Re: The work ethic – hard work pays or not?

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I have very little interaction with workmates, I work on my own, I’ve gone as far as I can go in my job, what started out as fairly relaxed, has turned into a stressed nightmare, from being constantly monitored and having to complete so many jobs per day, if I were to work hard and do lots of jobs, I would just be given more, which would make me later home, yes free time is more important to me now than ever, this company are trying to put measures in place to extend my time at work
I had the same with BT when it went private. Less time and more work impossible to get around to which is why I took early vol, retirement. they cut jobs times down to impossible levels.
Example when I joined an extn in a house or business was 3.5 hours when arrived on site. When I chucked the job in 22 years later it was 1.5 hours including getting to site.
That in south london most was in travelling time, then customers complained because engineers wern't keeping appointments. Even installing switchboards the time allowed was impossible.

All the skilled BT engineers I worked with left and BT had to re employ them as sub contractors to get the work done

So glad I got out and took over a boarding kennels and cattery, the pressure then was only what one put on ones self. Even then it took about 6 months to get rid of the stress buildup from BT

This was just our cattery for 42 cats I extended and upgraded

the kennels licenced for 114 dogs as well (not shown here)
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 08:45 PM

Thanks for all your brilliant responses on this thread, there are some very interesting comments on the question ‘The work ethic – hard work pays or not?

Another thread, link below, wonders if you have any regrets and if so what would you change now if you could?

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?p=1673651
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 09:41 PM

My job involved some physical work and to a greater degree, brainwork. I never earned much money at it until I went self-employed.

A good number of second-hand TV shops in the area used my services either regularly or at some time or another. Also video tape hire shops. Then there were my own customers, plus the bulk buying and selling I used to do.

The long hours spent doing all that paid off in providing a fairly good living and also gave job satisfaction. I thoroughly liked the way of life while it lasted and consider myself successful in what I did.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top