Join for free
Page 14 of 20 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 10:27 AM

Re: A REAL Reason to Avoid a Smart Meter

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

Not to mention Chenobryl and Fukoyama.....
I told you not to mention Chenobryl and Fukoyama... or Three Mile Island and Calder Hall.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Nuclear, non-environmentally damaging JB.....

I think the residents of Nagasaki and Hiroshima might give you an argument.....

Not to mention Chenobryl and Fukoyama.....
Nagasaki and Hiroshima were intentional bombings, not nuclear power plants.

Chernobyl was a poorly constructed and maintained nuclear power plant.

Fukoyama was built in the wrong place. You would imagine that they'd have foreseen the possibility of a natural disaster causing that damage.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I hope you don't mind my mentioning that your German spelling is crap!
I know, but l refuse to use the thing that does it for you JBR😢😢

Donkeyman! 😁
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Nagasaki and Hiroshima were intentional bombings, not nuclear power plants.

Chernobyl was a poorly constructed and maintained nuclear power plant.

Fukoyama was built in the wrong place. You would imagine that they'd have foreseen the possibility of a natural disaster causing that damage.
They did forsee it JBR? They had built a flood barrier round it ?
Trouble was it was'nt high enough !!
I take your point though, it was,( is )! in the wrong place !!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 11:14 AM

Anything smart is dumb.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I told you not to mention Chenobryl and Fukoyama... or Three Mile Island and Calder Hall.
Calder Hall aka Sellafield aka Windscale was not a power station intended to produce power for the Grid. Instead it was a plant to produce primarily plutonium for the British nuclear bomb project.

The incident took place as graphite moderator blocks were being processed to dissipate Wigner energy that accumulates after a period of time reducing the speed of fast neutrons, part of what has to be done to maintain a chain reaction in a uranium 235 pile that was where the Pu was created.

The graphite was ignited as a result of mishandling fuel rods and "stone age" technology because of the need to produce plutonium as fast as possible.

Absolutely NOTHING remotely connected with nuclear power stations.

Chernobyl? Very bad design and human error that contemporary design, had it been incorporated, would have nullified the human error.

Three Mile Island? Essentially nasty el-cheepo American design and nasty el-cheepo American component plus insufficiently trained control room staff.

Fukushima? Bloody stupid placement of nuclear power plant plus "casual" site design, especially in an active earthquake some. A defensive site design in which the plant emergency power supply had been appropriately placed would have resulted in a mess but not a nuclear disaster.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
They did forsee it JBR? They had built a flood barrier round it ?
Trouble was it was'nt high enough !!
I take your point though, it was,( is )! in the wrong place !!
Thank you. Yes, I believe that nuclear power, if done in the correct way, can be as safe as anything else.

As someone else mentioned earlier, improvements are being made on the safe disposal of nuclear waste. As far as I know, one safe method is to encase the waste in glass/steel casing and bury it deep in geologically sound locations. It can remain their for centuries - even millennia - whilst its radioactivity slowly reduces to nothing.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Calder Hall aka Sellafield aka Windscale was not a power station intended to produce power for the Grid. Instead it was a plant to produce primarily plutonium for the British nuclear bomb project.

The incident took place as graphite moderator blocks were being processed to dissipate Wigner energy that accumulates after a period of time reducing the speed of fast neutrons, part of what has to be done to maintain a chain reaction in a uranium 235 pile that was where the Pu was created.

The graphite was ignited as a result of mishandling fuel rods and "stone age" technology because of the need to produce plutonium as fast as possible.

Absolutely NOTHING remotely connected with nuclear power stations.

Chernobyl? Very bad design and human error that contemporary design, had it been incorporated, would have nullified the human error.

Three Mile Island? Essentially nasty el-cheepo American design and nasty el-cheepo American component plus insufficiently trained control room staff.

Fukushima? Bloody stupid placement of nuclear power plant plus "casual" site design, especially in an active earthquake some. A defensive site design in which the plant emergency power supply had been appropriately placed would have resulted in a mess but not a nuclear disaster.
Oh well, that's all right then. I feel safer now.

Lucky that we can sell all our yummy uranium to Britain, the Eu, India, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, UAE, Russia, Ukraine and China knowing it is quite safe and absolutely nothing to worry about.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 09:39 PM

Sorry Bruce, I should have kept my mouth (keyboard) shut, but I couldn't resist it....Open goal.....

Sorry also to JB, I wasn't getting at you.....

However, now it's raised some issues....

All the excuses and valid reasons about what actually happened at the various nuclear sites is all well and good in retrospect, but how often have we seen unexpected events take place that nobody thought would happen, and the consequences of a nuclear accident will be far more severe than the consequences from an unexpected event at a coal or gas fired power station.....

Hardly any consequences if this happens.....Unless you live downwind...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 09:58 PM

Getting fed up with waiting for the unexpected.

Page 14 of 20 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top