Join for free
Page 5 of 20 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 09:34 PM

Re: A REAL Reason to Avoid a Smart Meter

Could someone tell me precisely what these hackers will achieve in terms of a smart meter? How will they benefit financially?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Could someone tell me precisely what these hackers will achieve in terms of a smart meter? How will they benefit financially?
Well a burglar could find out when you are on holiday...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 10:05 PM

I also think wifi isn't very reliable. I don't buy all the smarthome nonsense because at least you always know a wire works from A to B. Smart monitoring across cities is not my idea of an idyllic world. Particularly when they are setting up rafts of masts to deal with the capacity issues. I also do not like the lack of consultation on this sweeping change. What's driving it? Certainly not driven by dreams of saving the planet.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Some things need stamping out before they start, just in case, bit like covid security.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 11:18 PM

A 'Which' report on the pros and cons of smart meters:

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/03...-really-think/
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I also think wifi isn't very reliable. I don't buy all the smarthome nonsense because at least you always know a wire works from A to B.
Don't they always ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I also think wifi isn't very reliable. I don't buy all the smarthome nonsense because at least you always know a wire works from A to B. Smart monitoring across cities is not my idea of an idyllic world. Particularly when they are setting up rafts of masts to deal with the capacity issues. I also do not like the lack of consultation on this sweeping change. What's driving it? Certainly not driven by dreams of saving the planet.

I agree with you, Annie.

However, if in the future we are forced to have them, I thought this part of the 'Which' article worth knowing:

" If your meter is old and needs replacing it could be unsafe not to do so. Instead, if you don’t want a smart meter, ask if you can have the meter’s smart capabilities switched off.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
A 'Which' report on the pros and cons of smart meters:

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/03...-really-think/
Good common sense approach..............)
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 10:49 AM

I thought hard about not having a smart meter, and then decided to have one.

Reason I decided to have one?

Well, !() my Wifi can be hacked into by anyone who can park his car within range (subject to getting my wifi passwords). In range is my drive, my back garden, and maybe more at night.

2) With smart televisions already doing unknown things, whilst connect to Virgin, I'm not in control of that.

3) I can't go shopping without being on some camera the whole time.

4) My mobile phone can be hacked, or nicked, as I walk down the street.

5) I discovered that my router & Modem can be hacked, as they all had the same passwords as most other people. I changed that.

Apart from those, and others not mentioned. I gave in to reality.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

08-09-2020, 11:06 AM

I'm more worried about the power company being hacked. They are collecting the data and communicating with all the customer smartmeters via the internet. The whole system is fragile as far as security goes. I'm not happy about the level of creep of internet hearing devices and spying but not planning to expand its influence in my life if it can be avoided.

Our power company doesn't let you have the best tariffs unless you install a metre. I doubt they would let us switch off the functionality once installed.

Page 5 of 20 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top