Join for free
Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 10:17 PM

Re: The end of america

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
The educational divide one reason why Trump got elected.
And brexit??

Donkeyman! 😇😇
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Your last criteria completely nullifies any fairness unles scholarships
become more available Todgy?
However this thread is about something else l believe??

Donkeyman! 😇😇
If ANYONE wants to take advantage of the private education sector all it takes is commitment and parents starting to save early to meet the costs. It's not difficult to get a bank loan or a second mortgage to fund a kid through a private school either.

Scholarships? I've never been a supporter of scholarships but I do recognise that in some exceptional cases they are worthwhile but VERY few.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 10:40 PM

And brexit??

Donkeyman! 😇😇
What's BREXIT got to do with Trump being elected?
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 01:26 AM

I'm sorry to hear Bakerman's tales of abhorrent treatment by police. I've had a few police stops since getting my license back in 1950. Not once has it been an unwarranted stop. Always for speeding. A few times I left with just a verbal warning and a couple others a ticket was issued and I had to pay the fine. No harsh words between the officer and me, but then I didn't have a chip on my shoulder.

Fortunately I haven't had any contact with criminal activities. On another note regarding guns. I've owned them, both long guns and handguns, since i was 13 and received my first .22 cal. rifle from my grandfather. Never once, including the present times, have I ever carried one for "self-defense" and if someone was breaking into my house, it'd take me awhile to get one out and load it.

Never been accosted at home or out in public in my 87 years. I guess there are lousy places to live where some folks will crap their pants if they have to go to the grocery without their gun.

It's just that some people live in a state of anger and/or fear. The rest of us just go about our business as we always have and don't constantly focus on the daily news
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by DaveA ->
I'm sorry to hear Bakerman's tales of abhorrent treatment by police. I've had a few police stops since getting my license back in 1950. Not once has it been an unwarranted stop. Always for speeding. A few times I left with just a verbal warning and a couple others a ticket was issued and I had to pay the fine. No harsh words between the officer and me, but then I didn't have a chip on my shoulder.

Fortunately I haven't had any contact with criminal activities. On another note regarding guns. I've owned them, both long guns and handguns, since i was 13 and received my first .22 cal. rifle from my grandfather. Never once, including the present times, have I ever carried one for "self-defense" and if someone was breaking into my house, it'd take me awhile to get one out and load it.

Never been accosted at home or out in public in my 87 years. I guess there are lousy places to live where some folks will crap their pants if they have to go to the grocery without their gun.

It's just that some people live in a state of anger and/or fear. The rest of us just go about our business as we always have and don't constantly focus on the daily news
Excellent post Dave, and the America I've always believed it to be. A land of opportunity and hospitality....... So unlike the media version....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
What's BREXIT got to do with Trump being elected?
Nothing, l was adding an aside to Cinderella's post concerning the
role of education in getting Trump elected! ( or rather the role of the
lack of education!).

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

12-09-2020, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Excellent post Dave, and the America I've always believed it to be. A land of opportunity and hospitality....... So unlike the media version....
Ditto!! OGF !! Dave sounds agreat guy! ( Bloke).

Doneyman! 👍👍👍
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

12-09-2020, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
If ANYONE wants to take advantage of the private education sector all it takes is commitment and parents starting to save early to meet the costs. It's not difficult to get a bank loan or a second mortgage to fund a kid through a private school either.

Scholarships? I've never been a supporter of scholarships but I do recognise that in some exceptional cases they are worthwhile but VERY few.
What! are you frightened of competition??
I thought it was your holy grail ??

Donkeyman! 👍😇😇
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

12-09-2020, 11:49 AM

What! are you frightened of competition??
I thought it was your holy grail ??

Donkeyman! 👍😇😇
I really don't understand. Look on it as a form of selection to ensure it is available to those best suited to benefit from private schooling.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by DaveA ->
I'm sorry to hear Bakerman's tales of abhorrent treatment by police. I've had a few police stops since getting my license back in 1950. Not once has it been an unwarranted stop. Always for speeding. A few times I left with just a verbal warning and a couple others a ticket was issued and I had to pay the fine.
Perhaps it was my early introduction to the activities of cops which has left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
At age aprox 14 a cop who was a neighbor stopped me and told me that the next time he saw me hanging around the 'wrong type" he'd take me to jail. Sure enough, a week or so later he did arrest me and I had to spend 3 weeks locked up in Juvenile Hall. No charges. He wanted me to obey.

At age 16, I was walking down the street in Florida and a cop thought I looked like a run away. He arrested me and I spent a few weeks in adult jail.

At age 17, while hitchhiking across Texas, I was stopped by the Hwy Patrol. I had 2 packs of cigarettes and the cops unwrapped both packs and ripped open each cigarette just out of pure meanness.

At age 21 Cops in New Orleans stopped me and planted marijuana on me. 2 months in jail waiting for court.

the list goes on and on. Especially during the time I was a hippie in the 1960's.

Once in New Orleans I was pulled over for no reason and the cops searched me, illegally. One of them went through my wallet, examining each and every piece of paper, he smiled at me and said, "This is known as a casual search for
weapons."

I will not go into the gory details of what I've seen cops do to people AFTER they were handcuffed. No matter what anyone says, American cops are brutal thugs.

Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top