Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 05:42 PM

Re: Success or Failure

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I am, more and more, convinced that success is all about luck (with a little nous thrown in - otherwise we wouldn't be able to use the luck!)

If you're born into a good family, with the chance for good schooling, good jobs, good medical, high safety standards, that's where you get the big "Success" started.

If you are born into some XXX forsaken place, where none of the above is available, that's where "failure" gets a hold.

Soon there will be walls everywhere, otherwise the unlucky might get lucky.

Changing times!
In other words Ted, your luck starts at birth ?
Which in turn presents you with opportunity ?
Which then gives you a chance of success if you take the opportunity !
Does that make sense ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔

PS. With regard to walls, Do you mean that that the lucky are
actively preventing the unlucky from getting lucky ?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Those "walls" are becoming more necessary day by day to protect we successful from the losers who are increasingly breaking into OUR country to steal from us what we have built up.
Interesting to get your slant on things Todgy ??

Donkeyman! 😇😇
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 06:06 PM

I’ve read that mistakes are merely labels we put on things that didn’t ideally go our way so this clearly is perception related. Quite often people claim the worst mistake of their life was their biggest blessing in hindsight.
It seems time is relevant here
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
In other words Ted, your luck starts at birth ?
Which in turn presents you with opportunity ?
Which then gives you a chance of success if you take the opportunity !
Does that make sense ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔

PS. With regard to walls, Do you mean that that the lucky are
actively preventing the unlucky from getting lucky ?
Having watched a prog last night about the border between USA & Mexico, and thinking about our concerns (me included) with the immigrants trying to get here, we will put up a wall (in the water?) and other countries will probably do the same.

The problem I still have is that the problem must get fixed where they come from. If that was done, they wouldn't feel that they had to come here.

Anyway, that's another topic.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Having watched a prog last night about the border between USA & Mexico, and thinking about our concerns (me included) with the immigrants trying to get here, we will put up a wall (in the water?) and other countries will probably do the same.

The problem I still have is that the problem must get fixed where they come from. If that was done, they wouldn't feel that they had to come here.

Anyway, that's another topic.
They don't come here because of what is taking place in where they SHOULD reman and fix - they come HERE to scrounge. They claim what used to be called political asylum - and then bogus asylum seekers when what was taking place became obvious but Gordan Brown told the MSM that "bogus" had to be dropped.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 07:48 PM

I have always wondered how practice makes perfect. A runner for instance, might not be able to run a four minute mile, despite being very fit but if they keep at it and keep trying they might eventually be successful; but is the journey a series of failures or a series of successes?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have always wondered how practice makes perfect. A runner for instance, might not be able to run a four minute mile, despite being very fit but if they keep at it and keep trying they might eventually be successful; but is the journey a series of failures or a series of successes?
Practice allows you to try all different methods Longdogs, and choosing the best method on the day....
Success to me was not necessarily winning but completing a difficult and enduring course. For me, just finishing a marathon is a success, but if you were Mo Farah not winning would be failure.

I think 'Success' means different things to different people.
Success in sport?
Success in business?
Success in wealth?
Success on the stock market?
Success in happiness?
Success in love?
Success in the music industry?
Success as a dancer?
Success in politics?
I don't think money is the success that some people think it is....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 08:30 PM

Nothing in this world succeeds quite like a budgie with no beak. (Old Manchester "joke")
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Ooh I say Dongle, there's some deep thoughts going on there.

It's a funny old question when you think about it, isn't it.
I think we learn from both, - failures and successes - but the emotions that go with them both are very different.

Do you think that very often if we succeed, we mentally congratulate ourselves, give ourselves a pat on the back, and feel proud.
Yet when we fail, we blame everyone else.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 08:37 PM

Take foxy for example, if he ran a marathon in a time that he was satisfied with, then he would claim a success, if, however the elastic went in his shorts, then that would be a failure...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top