Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 11:32 AM

laughing at inappropriate times

Well, do you?

I have a friend who always laughs at inappropriate times, I remember first time she did it I was horrified that she was laughing at something that really wasn't funny but I came to realise it's a nervous laugh and she just can't help it!

I can sometimes laugh if someone falls, which is sometimes inappropriate. I remember seeing bobby slip on ice down a hill and his helmet went rolling down the road, I was in hysterics when he went slipping down the road trying to get his helmet, as he got up he looked around to see if anyone had seen him, he didn't see me. I still find the memory really funny.
Poor bloke might have hurt himself but it really did look hilariously funny.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 11:35 AM

Re: laughing at inappropriate times

I'm much the same as you, Queenie.
I know it's wrong, but sometimes I can't help it.
My Mum was just the same too.

Little things, like someone's hat blowing off in the wind will start me off, and the more you try to stifle it, the worse it gets.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 12:00 PM

I don't laugh much at all I am not a 'laugher' but I have met many people with a nervous laugh ....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't laugh much at all I am not a 'laugher' but I have met many people with a nervous laugh ....
Meg your story of you hiding naked in the kitchen, because you couldn't get dressed whilst the postman was at your front door in case he could see you, still makes me laugh !
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm much the same as you, Queenie.
I know it's wrong, but sometimes I can't help it.
My Mum was just the same too.

Little things, like someone's hat blowing off in the wind will start me off, and the more you try to stifle it, the worse it gets.
What on earth is inaproprapriate about that? No, seriously?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 12:21 PM

Well I laugh a LOT and often laugh at stuff I shouldn’t but I’m not the least bit worried about it. There are worse things to have happen than laughing inappropriately. Usually when I laugh others laugh along with me.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 12:23 PM

Mr Mags is guilty of that, many times I have dug him in the ribs while we've been out.

He can't help but laugh at someone's expense .... if they trip or drop something etc. A sharp nudge does work and bring him to his senses though!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
What on earth is inaproprapriate about that? No, seriously?

Ah, I shall think of you when I see someone's hat bowling down the road this winter, Todger, - and now laugh with a clear conscience.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 02:45 PM

I am a permanent laugher! So are my two sisters, and at times we dare not look at each other as we start and can’t stop. We laugh until it really hurts our backs.

On the evening before my wedding, my husband to be, my two sisters who were my bridesmaids and myself attended a rehearsal at the church.

It was all very serious as we had to go through the motions of the wedding service in normal clothes. Next thing, l had a fit of laughing, l tried to suppress it but it didn’t work. Then my two sisters started.
I apologised profusely to the priest and he said, it was ok, it was just nerves.
Aye? Nerves? ...but l didn’t feel nervous. I thought it a strange thing to say.

It was the same at my one of my children’s christening. Someone whispered, the priest looked like a cockerel and he did. Off l started.
I think it’s serious situations where you shouldn’t laugh that makes me laugh.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 06:04 PM

I can think of two memorable occasions - I am sure there must be more - but however ..

1st - When was 14yrs and attending Holy Mass with a friend. In those days it was still in Latin - we had a new priest - and he had such a monotonous voice. He mispronounced many of the prayers - also dragged out every syllable into a long boring drone. We had such a fit of the giggles - one of the nuns came up and threw us out!

2nd - In the cinema with friend and hubby to see a James Bond thing with Daniel Craig as Bond. Can't remember which one - but it became sillier by the minute. I had the giggles - friend kept shushing me - which made it worse. Final straw was when Bond - clutching his chest dramatically - dragged himself into his car - and pulled a defibrillator out of the glove compartment - used it on himself and drove off. I had to leave the auditorium at that point because I was laughing out loud and could not stop. Bought myself some popcorn and waited in the atrium for my friends - who said they will never again go to the cinema with me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top