Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 04:14 PM

Re: Do You, Or Someone Else, Darn Your Socks? Or, Do You Just Buy More?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I depends on the sock.... I bought some seasalt socks a while back and one foot had a tiny hole. As they are brand new I was planning to darn it shut. So annoying but not worth the inconvenience of sending back.

There's probably a landfill mountain somewhere of socks and tights. You'd think someone would make biodegradable tights. I saw Charlie Dimmock on Garden rescue advising that we should use old tights for tying back plants in the garden. Very sensible!
There is a market for unwashed and preferably slightly soiled laydees under garments - and I kid you not.

https://kinkie.co.uk/used-items-for-...rwear-panties/

Probably NSFW (Not Safe For Work)
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 07:09 PM

I don't darn, they get binned, I remember my mum used to darn socks...and turn the collar on my dad's shirts....does anyone remember their mums or granny's doing that
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
I don't darn, they get binned, I remember my mum used to darn socks...and turn the collar on my dad's shirts....does anyone remember their mums or granny's doing that
My grandmother used to darn our socks while smoking her pipe (!) filled with really foul smelling tobacco. A real old "Becky" she was. Used to make toffee apples for the local kids - just to give them away!

Especially this time of the year - Rosh Hashanah.

It comes in this Friday evening one hour before sunset and ends Sunday one hour after Sunset so Shanah Tovah u'metukah to y'all!

I recall the old girl used a thing like a wooden mushroom and sorta weave wool across the hole. She also did invisible mending of things for her mates "just like in the old country".

After we moved she used to bend my mother's ear about using a local woman to do such repairs for us.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
I bin mine too & buy more. You can't really mend socks, not like you could the wool ones from long ago. I still have the wooden darning mushroom my Gran used to use to mend socks. It makes a nice ornament.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I wear socks when my feet are cold. Some have holes in the toes, so l darned them today.
It made me think, that maybe l am in the minority and most people probably chuck them and just buy some more.

So l ask, are you a keeper or a thrower?

I haven’t a clue what darning means?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
That is a darn shame.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 12:11 AM

I only buy black socks so if one develops a hole I save the remaining one until it is joined by another in the same situation.

However a couple of weeks ago I did actually sew up a hole in a sock, this pandemic and staying at home has made me do things I would not otherwise consider.

It was done with thread whereas my mother used to use wool she had a thing like a mushroom which was pushed into the sock to sew over. In later years she had one with a light inside it so you could sew in the dark (I presume).
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
The way things are going we will all be darning soon and perhaps spinning yarns about the good old days when we could buy socks off the shelf!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The way things are going we will all be darning soon and perhaps spinning yarns about the good old days when we could buy socks off the shelf!
I remember my grandfather complaining that socks no longer came with left and right versions and this could lead to the downfall of civilisation!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 08:13 AM

Darn a sock?

Never have...never will.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top