Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 02:51 PM

Re: Help!

For most members this is not their first, or only, site but people generally feel that they need to get to know people before meeting up.You are also not obliged to say where you live, probably for safety reasons. This applies to all sites so there is a chance that you would not easily find people close to your home on any site. If you are looking for people, to meet up and talk to, then maybe you should try a friendship, or even dating site. Some members do like to meet others, a few do on this site, but they are usually prepared to travel.
If you are looking for local friends you can try a few sites, to see if anybody lives close to you, but I wouldn't hold my breath because most of them have members from all over the world.
It is not a usually accepted practice, to advertise sites on the forum of another, but after you have had 3 months on this site, and are able to send PMs, you may find some members are happy to suggest another one.
Please don't think we are being unfriendly, the reason that some are on a few sites is because they have made friends there, but also have friends on this site, so being on both gives an opportunity to chat with all the friends you have made on different sites. I have some friends on another site, but prefer the discussions on this one, and I think you will find that most members on here feel the same, even if they are members of other sites.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 03:26 PM

I just don't get it .......................
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 03:52 PM

To me, forums are like supermarkets. You stay with the one you like or you just pop in to any others when you want to. You have the freedom and choice and shouldn't feel a traitor for participating in other forums.
As for meeting members in real life, that's where the social 'meets' come in handy as you meet as a group.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
To me, forums are like supermarkets. You stay with the one you like or you just pop in to any others when you want to. You have the freedom and choice and shouldn't feel a traitor for participating in other forums.
As for meeting members in real life, that's where the social 'meets' come in handy as you meet as a crowd.
Absolutely agree about that and it covers the other point too that when in sainsburys don't ask whether tesco is better or where the nearest Aldi is
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Absolutely agree about that and it covers the other point too that when in sainsburys don't ask whether tesco is better or where the nearest Aldi is
Definitely! Julie. You wouldn't flaunt the fact you'd visited another site or 'diss' a site on another site. That would be totally out of order!

NB. 'You' was meant ..generally!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Definitely! Julie. You wouldn't flaunt the fact you'd visited another site or 'diss' a site on another site. That would be totally out of order!

NB. 'You' was meant ..generally!!
Indeedy it's amazing people don't understand that.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 04:22 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this whole thing, but I get the impression that Raven is looking for people in her own area because she wants to find new people to meet in person?

If that's the case, everybody's making much ado about nothing.

And what's wrong with asking if anyone here knows of other sites she can check out? Dang you guys are touchy
Raven
Birmingham. UK
Raven is female 

06-04-2016, 04:41 PM

Thank you Linda0818. That is exactly what i was trying to find out.

If asking questions about something that someone feels is wrong then surely they should "understand and not be amazed" that new people do not know or understand any unwritten rules there might be and that they themselves were new on chat sites themselves once upon a time.
If things like that can only be discussed in private why have a chat site to discuss things if something as simple as discussing other sites cannot be openly talked about?
And yes i would go into one shop and discuss if another shop was better.And in the open,not behind closed doors.
It seems that what one needs on chat sites is a very thick skin because of the cutting sarcastic remarks and very sharp claws of other members.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Raven ->
Thank you Linda0818. That is exactly what i was trying to find out.

If asking questions about something that someone feels is wrong then surely they should "understand and not be amazed" that new people do not know or understand any unwritten rules there might be and that they themselves were new on chat sites themselves once upon a time.
If things like that can only be discussed in private why have a chat site to discuss things if something as simple as discussing other sites cannot be openly talked about?
And yes i would go into one shop and discuss if another shop was better.And in the open,not behind closed doors.
It seems that what one needs on chat sites is a very thick skin because of the cutting sarcastic remarks and very sharp claws of other members.
Some things around here are very hush-hush. And I respect that. But I don't understand it

I really wouldn't know how to go about finding people on the internet that live in my area. We have a discussion board for our specific neighborhood, but it's mostly informational posts, like lawn care and lost dog alerts and classifieds, etc. It's not really a social type of site where people are hooking up to meet.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

06-04-2016, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this whole thing, but I get the impression that Raven is looking for people in her own area because she wants to find new people to meet in person?

If that's the case, everybody's making much ado about nothing.

And what's wrong with asking if anyone here knows of other sites she can check out? Dang you guys are touchy
Linda, Do you not think many of us have learned to be on our guard and be careful about what we say on public sites? I am sure Raven is utterly genuine but she shouldn't blame us for being the way we are. It's how it is these days with so many scammers lurking, ready to pounce!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top