Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 06:38 PM

Red Tape

With the EU referendum looming I recently decided that perhaps I should do my duty by voting. So I applied online to be restored to the electoral register as an overseas voter. The application details included the last UK address where I was a registered voter, my NI number and my passport number.

Since then I have received 1) an application form for a postal vote stating that I am still living at the old UK address 2) an email saying that they cannot confirm my identity and that I need to find a British citizen who is local to me AND is registered to vote to attest as to my identity.

I somewhat doubt that I can find an appropriate British person locally, and as the only ID required for THAT person is passport number I could be stumped.

I doubt that I will bother now. But why on earth can they not identify me when they have both my NI number and my passport number????
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 07:05 PM

Re: Red Tape

I understand you wanting to do your duty for your Country Ania, but when faced with all the rigmarole you’d have to go through it’s not worth the hassle. Just sit back and enjoy the counting process on TV and hope you get the result you would have voted for, it won’t be long now.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 07:25 PM

Ania they'd soon be able to identify you if you owed taxes
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I understand you wanting to do your duty for your Country Ania, but when faced with all the rigmarole you’d have to go through it’s not worth the hassle. Just sit back and enjoy the counting process on TV and hope you get the result you would have voted for, it won’t be long now.
That's the conclusion I came to, Jem. But it still irks me that they are virtually denying me the right to vote. Still, in some ways perhaps it's a relief not to have to make a decision!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

06-04-2016, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
Ania they'd soon be able to identify you if you owed taxes
So true!
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 04:14 AM

Makes you wonder how many others are unable to vote for the same/similar reasons.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 08:47 AM

That's really bad the changes if they come could affect you more than me and I get a vote.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

07-04-2016, 04:51 PM

Update. I replied to their email request asking why it was that they could not identify me given that they had both my NI number and passport number and today got a reply. Apparently as they have only now checked their own records and confirmed my former UK address they now say I need do nothing further and will be able to vote. Although I assume I do in fact have to do something further, i.e. complete the application for a postal vote and send it back!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top