Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 08:23 PM

To sell or not to sell?

I own a watercolour painted by an artist who has recently died. I'm told that his pictures are now very much in demand. Do I sell it now, or wait and hope it's worth more in the future?
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 08:27 PM

Re: To sell or not to sell?

What a dilemma - do you want to sell it anyway? Think I'd wait a bit, just get it valued and take it from there.
HTB
Lanc's
HTB is male  HTB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 08:46 PM

sell it now, eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow, you maybe very dead.................H
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 09:27 PM

If I were you Lindyloo I'd hold on to it for a year or two, the fact is the longer the artist is dead the more valuable the work, it will more than likely jump in value as the word sinks in deeper around the art world and his works becomes scarce.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 09:54 PM

Depends on what it means to you.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. The picture has no special meaning for me at all, so I'm happy to sell it, but I know that unless something is popular and/or fashionable, it's not going to get a decent price.
I'll get a valuation and take it from there.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 10:26 PM

Go to an auction house and ask for their advice, generally it is free and see what they say. You don't have to sell it through them either. if it is worth a bit an art gallery may be able to sell it for you for a small fee
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 11:17 PM

This could go one of two ways, you could sell it now and wish you hadn't when you hear it fetched thousands in an auction; or you could wait and people could loose interest and the value could go down. I'd get advice!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Thanks for the replies. The picture has no special meaning for me at all, so I'm happy to sell it, but I know that unless something is popular and/or fashionable, it's not going to get a decent price.
I'll get a valuation and take it from there.

Probably the best place to start Lindyloo.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 11:51 PM

A difficult one.
Is there a chance it might not increase much more? Or go down in value?

I guess it would depend upon how much you'd appreciate a bit of extra cash now .. not in a couple of years of time ... but now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top