Join for free
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 04:47 PM

The First and the Worst.

The first bird photograph i ever took, back in 1999. I found this Great-white egret on a pond, so using my telescope as a lens i held my 35mm compact film camera to the eyepiece and took this image the bird was about 100 yards away. I was surprised i got anything at all.

The worst, i found this Barn Owl when walking round the wetland, it was only a few feet away from me and clearly in distress. It was an escaped bird and was starving to death in the midst of plenty food. We had it rescued but i was saddened to see i t was returned to the owner. I hate to see birds held captive for personal pleasure or financial gain.

These are photographs of photographs, so not very good quality.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 04:55 PM

Re: The First and the Worst.

The Egret picture has a charm about it - looks like a painting you know
The Owl - well it does look sad - poor thing
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 06:01 AM

Thanks for looking Patsy.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 08:38 AM

Yes it does look like a painting. Very soft looking.

I agree Nom. Birds should be free to soar.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 10:41 AM

Love the Egret 'watercolour' effect Nom
.. poor owl..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 10:53 AM

You say they were very early attempts at photography Nom, but at least you have improved considerably - I wish I had.

I love owls. I am not very knowledgeable about them, but they fascinate me.
I have a picture somewhere of a huge one sitting on my arm at an agricultural show once. Lovely birds. I think it's their eyes that are so noticeable first.
ShirleyMarie
Michigan, USA
ShirleyMarie is female  ShirleyMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 12:10 PM

Yes, I agree the egret looks like a painting, a very good one too. Saw a TV program about owls last night. Pointed out their amazing abilities other birds don't have. I also think healthy birds should fly free but some that are no longer able from injury should be cared for too.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

20-02-2015, 01:09 PM

Thanks the vignetting around the image is caused by the cameras lens not fitting the eyepiece correctly and with no screen as on a digital camera you just had to take a chance and snap away. And distance, heat haze, and the inability to refocus so both camera and lens are sharp all add to the shot being soft on the egret. It was before the advent of Digiscoping which improved things with the easier to use digital cameras but still was much harder to master.

A shot showing a Grey Heron and Little egret with a digital rather than film still using the scope shows better results at almost the same distance.

venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 03:23 PM

Good, sharp interesting picture.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 03:55 PM

I like the egret photo, Nom .... definitely a bird's eye view shot...

Poor owl

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top