Join for free
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 09:32 PM

The swan fight Clumber Park

In a nutshell...

Early one morning on Clumber Park years ago with my camera...I heard a thrashing of wings and looking behind me saw a Cob mute swan heading for the opposite bank.He had seen another pair enter his territory with their cygnets.
They turned back,but unfortunately their cygnets were trapped by the high bank.
Instead of backing down they had to return for their chicks and this started the fight with the resident male.

At first the pen backed her mate in the fight...but her instinct was to leave the males to it while she ushered her chicks to safety.

The fight got more and more vicious and went on until they were both exhausted nearly an hour later when I had run out of film.
I've seen fights before but never more than a few minutes long...I think this one carried on because the incoming male was unwilling to abandon his cygnets.

Oh for a video camera in those days...I'll not see the like again.
You'll have to excuse quality these are from old scanned prints.

http://s219.photobucket.com/user/rae...w/swan%20fight
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 09:49 PM

Re: The swan fight Clumber Park

Thanks for sharing those poohdog, Walking round the lake at Clumber Park is a favourite walk. You did well to capture the action with stills.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 09:59 PM

A brilliant capture poohdog, well done!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 06:45 AM

Right place and right time eh ? Good shots.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 09:58 AM

What incredible photographs! Swans are very territorial and soon dispatch intruders, especially when they have cygnets to protect.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 10:03 AM

What happened in the end though. Did one of the males back down ??
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 11:09 AM

Yes - what happened ......
Well done with the photos !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 11:23 AM

Great photographs Paul..
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
What happened in the end though. Did one of the males back down ??

It was a draw...

They were both completely exhausted...at one time one cob just laid it's head onto the back of the other with no reaction.
The intruder eventually climbed the bank...saw it's pen had managed to find a way back into her own pond with the cygnets and he joined them.

Oh for a digital with a huge memory card...I ran out of film.I just wish I still had the negatives for a better quality record.
By this time it was about 6.30am and I had been joined by about ten other early risers watching the spectacle...they were too late to get many photos though.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 06:27 PM

You did well Paul ......

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top