Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 07:56 PM

fly tipping on now ITV.

A subject that makes my blood boil .
Made worse by the closure of tips in the corona virus lockdown .

There surely are better ways to stop this .

Why don’t councils give a free skip once a week in certain areas that people can use ?

At least for usually honest people to use .

It appears fly tipping has become a gang crime used in some way to launder money .
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 09:32 PM

Re: fly tipping on now ITV.

All these fly-tipping problems mostly started when councils imposed charges for disposing of waste. Out here 'in the rural sticks' it's been so noticeable since then with all manner of rubbish just dumped in the hedgerows and fields, and often in broad daylight too!

This village and surrounding villages had a good idea when once a year, for a whole weekend, we could put anything out for free collection. The only limit was the obvious asbestos or any item that took more than two men to lift. Then the cost become too much for the parish councils so that stopped. Now sadly we see the results of both that and the council charging at the recycling centre.
A short-term saving that in the long run will cost far, far more than was ever saved!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
All these fly-tipping problems mostly started when councils imposed charges for disposing of waste.
Yes indeed.

We pay council tax for such services and when some councils began charging for waste disposal (ours still does for the collection of outsize items) I believe their greed resulted in them shooting themselves in the foot!

Many people, understandably, refused to pay twice for the disposal of waste and the result was fly-tipping. Councils then began to realise that the cost of removing that fly-tipped rubbish exceeded the cost of collecting waste items legally!

Nevertheless, they decided instead to put in place measures to discover who had tipped the rubbish. I don't know whether that saved them any money, but perhaps it made them feel better to be able to punish the law-breakers.

Strangely, as I understand it, other European countries are far more willing to accept their responsibility to collect waste than is ours. Spain, for example, collects waste every day, at least that's what I've heard, compared to our councils who may collect weekly or even fortnightly!

Not wishing to imply anything, of course, but I wonder how the salaries and pensions of our council leaders compare to those of some other EU countries!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
A subject that makes my blood boil .
Made worse by the closure of tips in the corona virus lockdown .

There surely are better ways to stop this .

Why don’t councils give a free skip once a week in certain areas that people can use ?

At least for usually honest people to use .

It appears fly tipping has become a gang crime used in some way to launder money .
I remember a few years ago, the council would send a refuse lorry round to a local car park so that people could get rid of their non-recyclable stuff. That was in my old area but I don't think they still do it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes indeed.

We pay council tax for such services and when some councils began charging for waste disposal (ours still does for the collection of outsize items) I believe their greed resulted in them shooting themselves in the foot!

Many people, understandably, refused to pay twice for the disposal of waste and the result was fly-tipping. Councils then began to realise that the cost of removing that fly-tipped rubbish exceeded the cost of collecting waste items legally!

Nevertheless, they decided instead to put in place measures to discover who had tipped the rubbish. I don't know whether that saved them any money, but perhaps it made them feel better to be able to punish the law-breakers.

Strangely, as I understand it, other European countries are far more willing to accept their responsibility to collect waste than is ours. Spain, for example, collects waste every day, at least that's what I've heard, compared to our councils who may collect weekly or even fortnightly!

Not wishing to imply anything, of course, but I wonder how the salaries and pensions of our council leaders compare to those of some other EU countries!
Exactly that JBR.

When I changed my bathroom, it cost me around £100 to get rid of the waste at the local tip. I can understand why some people just dump it somewhere. I had a piece of waste pipe 2ft long and they wanted to charge me £3 to take it. I took it home, chopped it up and put it in the rubbish.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Exactly that JBR.

When I changed my bathroom, it cost me around £100 to get rid of the waste at the local tip. I can understand why some people just dump it somewhere. I had a piece of waste pipe 2ft long and they wanted to charge me £3 to take it. I took it home, chopped it up and put it in the rubbish.
Out here 'in the rural sticks' it's not unusual to see old bathroom suites dumped in the fields and hedgerows. Speaking to a family member who had, like you, paid to get rid of their old suite at the local tip. She was informed these items, the porcelain toilets and basins especially, were then sold on to companies who crush them for use in road construction. Another way of the council making money. They obviously don't get enough out of us in extortionate Council Tax!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 11:14 AM

But they don’t bother to put cctv cameras and prosecute .
Personally I would oblige those AHS To clean up there mess as well as a fine !
But these are usually shady tough guys who do this sort of thing .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I remember a few years ago, the council would send a refuse lorry round to a local car park so that people could get rid of their non-recyclable stuff. That was in my old area but I don't think they still do it.
Of course not. Much more preferable to impose additional charges for such things to help supplement their generous salaries and pensions.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

01-05-2020, 11:27 AM

So penalise those who make the effort to go to the tip .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-05-2020, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
So penalise those who make the effort to go to the tip .
They are determined to have their own way, aren't they?

I look forward to a large increase in fly tipping in the fervent hope that our inept councils will succeed in costing themselves a great deal more money, especially to the extent that they are obliged to take a cut in their pay and pensions.

Just be careful not to include anything in your rubbish that can identify you, and look around carefully for CCTVs!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top