Join for free
Page 5 of 23 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 09:02 AM

Re: Gertie

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Sorry it's a bit blurry, but look at this little picture of innocence

Gertie is full of cuddlesome cuteness Mups!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 09:59 AM

She is a beauty and obviously meant for your little furry family, good luck with the scan.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
My daughter is a vet and has hardly ever been asked to vet check a litter of pups . It's easy enough for anyone to say a litter is vet checked but are they really ?
I realise it is not compulsory for breeders to have their puppies vet checked. However, if they have been done - and I firmly believe all pups should be - then the vet will certificate the pups. This certificate will then go in with the pup's contract details and other information a buyer gets when taking a puppy. It is still advisable to take a newly acquired pup to your own vet within 2 days for confirmation check, etc. I would never buy a pup without this certification before they leave the nest. At the end of the day a pedigree pup usually costs a reasonable sum of money (as do many crossbreeds these days) and the dog is hopefully going to be with the new owner for quite a number of years. The best we can do to make sure we have a healthy animal and that we have not "been sold a pup" as the saying goes, is to ensure that these things have been done before taking over responsibility for the puppy.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 02:03 PM

Fair comments Aerolor, no veterinary certificate was in with her paperwork.
I suppose another advantage of having that would be because insurances are notorious for wriggling out of coughing up, they would say the pup was 'bought WITH the existing problem' so wouldn't pay out.
However, if the breeder had gives a certificate from their vet saying she was healthy at the time of purchase, the insurance may not be able to wriggle out of financial help so easily.
Gertie has the usual 4 week free insurance, so I'd better look into that.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I realise it is not compulsory for breeders to have their puppies vet checked. However, if they have been done - and I firmly believe all pups should be - then the vet will certificate the pups. This certificate will then go in with the pup's contract details and other information a buyer gets when taking a puppy. It is still advisable to take a newly acquired pup to your own vet within 2 days for confirmation check, etc. I would never buy a pup without this certification before they leave the nest. At the end of the day a pedigree pup usually costs a reasonable sum of money (as do many crossbreeds these days) and the dog is hopefully going to be with the new owner for quite a number of years. The best we can do to make sure we have a healthy animal and that we have not "been sold a pup" as the saying goes, is to ensure that these things have been done before taking over responsibility for the puppy.

Since pedigrees , KC registrations and sire and dam health certificates can be forged then I'm pretty sure vet certificates can be forged too . So I hope you phone the vet to ask for confirmation that the puppy has indeed been checked and a cetificate issued .
I have owned dogs all my life and I have owned at least 4 for the last 25 years and no puppy I have ever bought has been health checked by a vet .
But then again I don't buy puppies from repetetive breeders or puppy farms who I believe set great store by these certificates in order to boost up the cost of the puppies they sell .
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 03:49 PM

I suppose another advantage of having that would be because insurances are notorious for wriggling out of coughing up, they would say the pup was 'bought WITH the existing problem' so wouldn't pay out.
However, if the breeder had gives a certificate from their vet saying she was healthy at the time of purchase, the insurance may not be able to wriggle out of financial help so easily.

If Gertie had an insurance certificate which was current before the heart murmur was detected then I think they will pay out .
The main thing is Gertie is fine so fingers crossed for a good scan result on Friday .
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
Since pedigrees , KC registrations and sire and dam health certificates can be forged then I'm pretty sure vet certificates can be forged too . So I hope you phone the vet to ask for confirmation that the puppy has indeed been checked and a cetificate issued .
I have owned dogs all my life and I have owned at least 4 for the last 25 years and no puppy I have ever bought has been health checked by a vet .
But then again I don't buy puppies from repetetive breeders or puppy farms who I believe set great store by these certificates in order to boost up the cost of the puppies they sell .
I don't doubt that vet certifications can be forged by an unscrupulous breeder Abby. Of course, there are dishonest people in all walks of life and I take little at face value.
Puppy farms/mills - they don't care a fig about their pups or the dogs they breed from. Health checks etc. are of little concern to them - they are only concerned about the money they can get and a rapid turnover. It should be easy to realise who is puppy farming and folks are advised to steer well clear of them. I am sure you know that, as far as buying dogs and other livestock is concerned, it is important to do the groundwork when purchasing a creature that will be with you for, hopefully many years. In the scheme of things, the purchase price is the smallest part of the overall cost of owning a dog throughout it's lifetime.
I would not buy any pup unless I had thoroughly done the groundwork first. I have always had a keen interest in dogs and, yes, I too have kept dogs for most of my life and at one time in the past bred my own flatcoated retrievers, but not nowadays. I only have one dog now - a golden retriever, but I know exactly what tests her parents/grandparents had. I also went to the trouble and checked the parents in-breeding coefficient with the KC before I made my choice. The KC has it's critics sometimes, but they do hold pretty comprehensive databases for all sorts of things to do with dogs and do their best to ensure that they are accurate. If the dogs are registered and you know the parents KC names it is quite easy to check all sorts of things. (although it won't be as accurate as the human Births, marriages and deaths register of course - lol )
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

15-06-2016, 08:30 PM

I do hope the heart scan will not throw up any serious concern Mups and, as Abbey says you will likely be covered by the puppy insurance - check it out to see if there are any exclusions.
It's such a shame to have a worry like this when you should be enjoying your pup. Good luck.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I do hope the heart scan will not throw up any serious concern Mups and, as Abbey says you will likely be covered by the puppy insurance - check it out to see if there are any exclusions.
It's such a shame to have a worry like this when you should be enjoying your pup. Good luck.

Thanks for the Good Luck wishes Aerolor.
I did do my homework before I bought her and I also checked her health results.
I am very familiar with the suggested health tests for the breed as Gertie is my 5th Beddie. I also checked out the coefficient of each parent individually, then the offspring of the mating of those parents. I also double checked the health certificates with the paperwork I was given.
As you say the KC have alot more information available nowadays than they used to have.
I spoke to the breeder on the phone tonight. She said the puppies were vet checked at the time vaccinating, but her vet did not issue a certificate. This does make sense to me actually, because hopefully all vets should give a basic examination before they vaccinate, but I have never known one supply a certificate other than the vaccination certificate itself. Personally, I don't like or agree with early vaccinating, but Gertie was done before I could ask them not to.
Her insurance is with Pet Plan, and the breeder arranged my cover on line, so I am hoping to get the confirmation paperwork through any time now.
What I can't understand (and nor could the breeder) is how come the heart murmur wasn't picked up at the vaccination examination? Either it wasn't there at that time, or they didn't do a very good job of examining her.

The breeder said tonight that I could either take Gertie back and have a full refund, or swap her for her sister if I preferred. She was quite reasonable about it.

Thing is, I love the little mite and don't want her to go anywhere, it's not her fault. So let's just hope that she has the juvenile sort of problem that she will likely grow out of in a few months.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK

16-06-2016, 07:17 AM

Maybe the heart murmur is so mild that only an experienced vet would pick it up ? I have known of a few whippet puppies with heart murmurs as puppies but were ok by the time they were 6 months so maybe Gertie will be the same .

Page 5 of 23 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top