Join for free
Page 6 of 33 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 07:09 PM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

A small tip which, you may not like, but which could save you from being scammed:--

When your phone rings, most of us will identify ourselves with our name, when picking it up.

"Hi Fred Bloggs here" or whatever.

Now that there are many scammers who make "automatic calls" using calling machines, which ring every number in a given area, noting which ones react, it's worth noting that they don't know your name when you pick up your phone.

Just ask them to tell you who they think that you are!

They usually cannot.

Game Set & Match!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
A small tip which, you may not like, but which could save you from being scammed:--

When your phone rings, most of us will identify ourselves with our name, when picking it up.

"Hi Fred Bloggs here" or whatever.

Now that there are many scammers who make "automatic calls" using calling machines, which ring every number in a given area, noting which ones react, it's worth noting that they don't know your name when you pick up your phone.

Just ask them to tell you who they think that you are!

They usually cannot.

Game Set & Match!
Yes, good point.

To be honest, we never announce our names when answering the phone. Anyway, the majority of our scam phone calls are obviously recordings, ending in the "Press 1" words.

I've mentioned before, we have our phone on answerphone all the time, so we always hear who it is before picking up. If it's an obvious scam call, we just don't pick up and leave them to it. At the end of each day I delete all the rubbish.

I think the only way we're going to beat the scam callers is by people realising the problem and not falling for it. To be honest, none of them are really believable.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, good point.

To be honest, we never announce our names when answering the phone.
Anyway, the majority of our scam phone calls are obviously recordings, ending in the "Press 1" words.

I've mentioned before, we have our phone on answerphone all the time, so we always hear who it is before picking up. If it's an obvious scam call, we just don't pick up and leave them to it. At the end of each day I delete all the rubbish.

I think the only way we're going to beat the scam callers is by people realising the problem and not falling for it. To be honest, none of them are really believable.

Nor do I, and I wouldn't dream of doing that. In fact, I don't know anyone who does unless they are in business.

There has been a scammer ringing round this area the last few days, and the b***er is using my area code so you think it's a local number.
I know 'undesirables' can buy numbers, so I am assuming that is what has happening here.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 09:56 PM

had loads emails telling me my paypal account has been suspended until I change my password. It looks pretty authentic too.

For your protection, we have suspended your account because we detected unusual sign-in activity within your account. You can help us unlock your account by cicking on the button link and following the on-screen instructions.

Possible events occurred

Requesting any operation using unusual pattern.

Fraud activity from your account.

For security reasons, all your account services are unavailable until a response has been received.

Authenticate now

YEAH RIGHT, SOD OFF MR..........OR MRS

Grrrr I could right punch them so hard on the nose that I'd break it. I detest these nasty scammers
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I know 'undesirables' can buy numbers, so I am assuming that is what has happening here.
Yes, I believe they can buy telephone numbers, but who sells them?

Presumably, it is some government authority which controls telephone numbers in this country. If so, don't they check the identity of applicants?

Well I suppose anyone can claim to have set up a company and request a telephone number, but I would have thought that checks would be made of names and locations and records kept.
If numbers are abused, the issuing authorities should be able to identify the culprits and take action against them, at least closing down the numbers.

Of course, I admit that I don't really know how these things work.
David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 10:47 PM

I keep getting emails from: Netflix and numerous IT protection websites saying my subscription had been refused by my bank and wanted my correct bank card details. I have never used any of the companies so they go straight into my spam box.
Havenview
United Kingdom
Havenview is male  Havenview has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 11:11 PM

Had one today thanking me for my Amazon subscription and to press 1 to confirm my details! Needless to say I had not done such a thing.

I feel really really angry when I get these calls. I imagine these wicked idiots being slaughtered for their deception and it makes me feel like a bad person for getting into that state. I think I imagine too strongly how I would feel if I fell for their deception, or even how those who are unfortunate to be dragged into the evil snare would feel.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 08:55 AM

I believe that these phone calls are automatic, they are done randomly. That is why when you pick up, there is a pause before someone answers. Either in a recorded message or a non English person answered.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 09:46 AM

If these spammers had to pay for the calls they wouldn't be as eager to make so many. And as JB says, why can't they trace these knobs. If I started making obscene or fraudulent phone calls they would be on me like a ton of bricks....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
If these spammers had to pay for the calls they wouldn't be as eager to make so many. And as JB says, why can't they trace these knobs. If I started making obscene or fraudulent phone calls they would be on me like a ton of bricks....
I think that charging isn't started until the receiver picks up the phone.

Then the scammer has a couple of ways of scoring money.

The scammer cam, therefore, afford to make thousands of phishing calls

1) He talks the person into ringing a hot number and heavy charges follow.

2) He sells the list of "active" numbers to all and sundry.

I find that the best defence is an answer phone, on which we can see the number calling us, and then ignoring any number we don't know.

(note that the anwering machine effectively picks up the phone...but the spammer will have to pay for any call time used!

(Easier with mobile phones)

Page 6 of 33 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top