Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:33 PM

Re: Bird Feeders

Jolly good idea.
Just had a small "brainwave" I can use the wire mesh trays from my old feeding station, attach hanging basket chains to them
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:35 PM

There you go then
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:36 PM

Make sure you have a good viewpoint for yourself, once established your visitors will become used to your presence, over time you can move it closer, until you can have some eating from your hand.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Filly, I'm jealous of your Home Depot, our DIY stores are dismal compared to yours!
Also jealous of your humming birds!

I suppose I'll have to give it time for birds to find my garden.

Pauline, if I go on YouTube I'll spend hours, it is addictive!
I start off looking for bird feeders and before I know it I'm onto crochet snowflakes, painting techniques etc. etc.

I was hoping someone on here had found something

successful.
I know TessA...if what you're looking for isn't at Home Depot...then it isn't likely to be found. Those stores are so huge...that even if I only want something small I take a cart anyway and use it as a walker...
juliet799
New Member!
US
juliet799 is female 

16-09-2020, 03:04 PM

I think mealworms and fruit will attract bluebirds.
I suggest Erva feeder for bluebirds, the wire mesh protects the bluebird during feeding time from invasive birds and squirrels.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 04:45 PM

You have some very colourful birds there Juliet, Cardinals and Blue jays etc. Loved seeing them when I visited.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 08:56 PM

Hi Tess, I see this was last year's thread, so did you ever get something sorted for smaller birds?

I have 2 bird tables with the little roofs over them, plus one hanging feeder - again with a little roof over it. Similar to this one, except mine is metal not plastic.

On the tables I put a heavy clay plant pot saucer of food out, but I always use s 'Robin and small bird' seed mix. I then add a couple of extras like currants and/or dried mealworms.
In the winter I mix in some shredded suet.

None of 'my' birds eat Niger seeds, they always leave them in the dish for some reason.

I don't use the fat balls in any shape or form because I don't want the dogs picking up any bits of the fat dropped.

Also I looked at small feeders available, and there are some ideas here if it's any help.

https://shopphttps://www.happybeaks....r-small-birds/
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

16-09-2020, 09:45 PM

Yes Mups! I bought a similar one. They don't use it much though, I think the light shines on it and puts them off. I'm thinking of painting it or something to cover the plastic roof.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Yes Mups! I bought a similar one. They don't use it much though, I think the light shines on it and puts them off. I'm thinking of painting it or something to cover the plastic roof.

Yes, I think that's a good idea Tess.
I wonder if, being clear, they can't see it to land on properly in some lights, so it's worth trying to do something with it.
I wonder if Fablon would work, would that be weatherproof do you think?

Also, I am wondering if plastic is slippery when wet?
As I said, mine is similar, but black metal. I tried to find a picture of something similar, but can't at the mo.

Perhaps you could make yours look something like this one?

BTW, that previous link I gave you has just packed up for some reason.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top