Join for free
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 06:19 PM

Re: USA 2020 - Itinerary

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Thanks folks, will do

Lol about the sausages - were they trying to say you smelt?!
As long as they don't put one of these Lynx on my plate I don't mind:
That's what I had in mind too.

They also keep asking you if you are Australian but don't let that put you off.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm sure you will love it Floydy.

we did a similar holiday going from east to West but not Boston sadly. We also planned on the helicopter ride up the Grand Canyon but it was cancelled due to snow.Yes, it was snowing, whist up the road in Vegas was 90 deg.

New York is a great place and feels much safer than London. Try the subway if you get the chance, the trains are great (just like the movies). remember though that to travel in the opposite direction, you go up or down a level, not over to the opposite platform as in the UK.

I'm envious mate, you will have a great time.
LOL

A few years ago when in LV I booked a trip to the GC

Picked up at 5.30 on a warmish morning, stopped off at the Hoover Dam nice and mild.

Got to the GC snow and heavy cloud all around could not see a thing over 50 ft.

Got back to LV 10.30 at night.

Interesting thing is 35 miles from LV is a ski resort called Mount Charleston that had a 27 inch snow fall this Feb.

Temps in LV around 72f
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's what I had in mind too.

They also keep asking you if you are Australian but don't let that put you off.
I get that all the time but am to polite to tell them to go FO
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

22-08-2019, 08:27 AM

Would say have 3 days in Vegas.

They have top line stars performing.

Also if you interested in Alcatraz they have downtown at Fremont St the Mob Museum where you can see the original wall with the bullet holes of the Valentine's day massacre and histories of all the mob gangsters.

And they do helicopters rides to the GC from Vegas and might be cheaper...you hotel will give a discount for all shows .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 09:22 AM

Floydy

if your doing Alcatraz may i suggest you book the ferry/boat to the island before you go. If you leave it until you get the Fishermans Wharf it will be too late

we went in 2010 and a ticket then cost $18.75

While your there take a trip out to Muir woods to see all the Redwood trees
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
LOL

A few years ago when in LV I booked a trip to the GC

Picked up at 5.30 on a warmish morning, stopped off at the Hoover Dam nice and mild.

Got to the GC snow and heavy cloud all around could not see a thing over 50 ft.

Got back to LV 10.30 at night.

Interesting thing is 35 miles from LV is a ski resort called Mount Charleston that had a 27 inch snow fall this Feb.

Temps in LV around 72f
Yes, the weather can be very strange in those areas.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 09:33 PM

This is all great, I'm taking lots of notes. Thanks folks

My biggest hurdle at the moment is the logistics of the whole thing going coast to coast.
I have a list of the main places we want to stay or visit in the time we have (roughly 19 days). The only drawback is the travelling time on some of the longer journeys.

For instance, I've changed the first one to Los Angeles because it's better to go straight to San Francisco and start our holiday there. From there we will possibly go to Long Beach to stay for the LA sightseeing. This will be less of a journey to Flagstaff afterwards.

Then the biggest internal flight will be from there to Boston. It's too far, so I'm thinking of adding Chicago - but then again that's still a long way from Arizona.

A possible solution is cutting back a day or two from LA or New York to make a two night stop at either Kansas City or St. Louis, right in the middle. But then we end up with too many flights and hotel moves, so it's a big issue really.
We will get there eventually and it's all very interesting trying to figure it all out!

I'm sure I'll arrive at something before we see the travel agent for advice and flight/hotel bookings in October!

Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 09:54 PM

Don't miss out Las Vegas, tacky it may be but fabulous it certainly is. Go to the Gunstore and fire a couple of machine guns for $50. We did a national parks tour on a cool air condition coach starting in South Dakota and ending in Nevada.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 10:59 PM

Another must see is Yosemite national park. The views are outstanding when going to Alcatraz this must be on your list as well

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 02:05 PM

All good stuff, cheers guys. I've taken your suggestions on board and added them to my plans. Keep 'em comin'

I'm writing out various alternative plans and various "Plan B's", trying to fine tune the trip. Vegas is definitely a no-no, my wife definitely is adamant she doesn't want to go there
Thinking of less flight times and hotel stays (as pondered on above) My new idea is to skip the stays at Chicago and Boston - we can always go to Boston for a day trip form NY), I'm now questioning Nashville.
The four nights we now have spare from those two cities we can use an extra day each for SF and NY but we can have two nights in Nashville also. I'd love to go there and it also breaks up the flight time perfectly. It's all coming together...slowly!

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top